Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wilddog27 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 15, 2008, 03:08 PM
    My teeth ache
    My teeth ache anytime I do a lot of jogging or running. Not like a sensitive tooth pain. They ache all over. Anyone know what it is or can it be fixed
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 04:02 PM
    I'm no professional, but it could have to do with the puffing in and out of cold air (assuming it's cold where you are running). Then again, sometimes our bodies react in strange ways to strenuous exercise...

Is your oral health otherwise pretty good? Do you brush, floss, use fluoride mouthwash and visit the dentist on a regular basis? You could try switching to a toothpaste for sensitive teeth as well.

We have a dentistry expert here - hopefully she will pop on and give you more info!
    peggyhill Posts: 907, Reputation: 150

Feb 15, 2008, 04:25 PM
    jillianleab makes a good point about the cold air. I have had that happen to me before when running in the winter.

This is a website that has been helpful to me in the past.

http://www.wrongdiagnosis.com/sympto...pain/comon.htm

Just look at the list and see what type of pain matches yours, then you can look at possible causes and their other symptoms. Of course, I'm not telling you to try to diagnose yourself with the internet, we all know that isn't a good idea! But, it may help you get an idea of what the cause could be. If it continues, I would see a doctor and a dentist, better safe than sorry and all. Hope you feel better soon!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:16 PM
    It could be your sinuses. Do you have a cold or any sinus problems? The roots of the upper teeth sit quite close to the sinus and when the sinus is infected it can sit right on the tips of the roots. Patients often come in with toothaches that end up being contributed to a sinus infection.

Jogging and running as well as climbing stairs or bending over and standing up are often causes of tooth aches with sinus inflammation.

It could also be caused from clenching. Do you tend to clench your teeth together when you run or jog? If you do, try a sportsguard when running to see if it alleviates the ache.

Feb 17, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wilddog27
    My teeth ache anytime i do alot of jogging or running. not like a sensitive tooth pain. they ache all over. anyone know what it is or can it be fixed
    I don't clinch my teeth when I run or jog. I don't think I had a sinus or allergy problem either. I do brush my teeth 3 times a day. Also use gel-kam. I don't go to the dentist regularly but I've got to make an appointment soon. It doesn't really matter how hot or cold it is outside either. But it does matter how much wind I'm sucking in and out. Light jogging for brief periods don't bother them but if I run hard or jog for long periods like maybe 20 min straight they feel like they going to fall out of my head. Maybe this next month when I go to dentist he can help. I noticed lately that I grind my teeth when I sleep. Not sure what can be done to fix the damage that's caused.
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 05:23 AM
    If your teeth are aching when "sucking in" wind you may have some roots exposed or decay. The Gelkam should be helping to prevent that though if you are using it as prescribed.

As for the grinding at night, this can also cause gums to receed as well as notching of the teeth along the gumline. If these notches (abfractions) are deep and causing you sensitivity then fillings can be placed. Your dentist may recommend a night guard/splint to help you from doing further damage to your teeth.

Feb 17, 2008, 11:40 PM
    Hopefully your right. And seeing how you're the expert I'm going to take your word for it. I really just wanted to make sure it could be fixed.. Thank you guess the dentist will let me know what it is... I'll let you know what it is when I go. Thank you
    frankbu Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 08:09 PM
    I have the same problem. I have noticed that my teeth become more sensitive as a result of running. Places where I have chips and other minor defects ache. They do not usually ache, nor are they normally sensitive to cold or hot temperatures. I am not a dentist, but I hypothesize that blood flow to the tooth surface increases as a result of the cardio-vascular effects of running. Any dental eperts out there?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Jun 16, 2009, 08:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by frankbu View Post
    Any dental eperts out there?
    We've already had a Dentistry Expert weigh in on this matter. Also it's not a good idea to piggyback your question to an old question. You will get more responses by starting your own thread. :)

Read this thread (Flossie offered some excellent advice) and if you still have more questions, feel free to start a new thread.
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Jun 17, 2009, 04:43 PM

Try sensodyne toothpaste
    purple69haze Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2011, 12:51 AM
    However Frankbu is correct.

It is pain from the vasodilation taking place within your teeth.

As you probably know, during exercise, blood is rerouted to more urgent matters, when the CO2 output of muscles increases, and the O2 demand goes up, blood vessals to organs like the stomach, liver, kidneys etc constrict (vasoconstriction). This happens in the mouth too, even though there is not a huge amount of blood to be gained by rerouting from here, every little helps. This is why your saliva becomes thick and stringy during exercise, due to less being produced, so more of it sits around in your mouth and you swallow less, and less water goes into it too.

After exercise, as the blood goes back to places that were receiving little supply it forces the blood vessals open again, even the ones inside your teeth. This pain you are feeling is most likely the nerves being constricted then recompressed as the blood vessals expand again.

If you were to stop exercising for half a year I'm sure you would find your teeth would hurt within 5 minutes not twenty! The fitter you get the better your body can handle it.. as far as I know not much can be done about it other than getting fitter :)
    purple69haze Posts: 2, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2011, 12:52 AM
    The only thing I can think of is that it must be pain from the vasodilation taking place within your teeth.

As you probably know, during exercise, blood is rerouted to more urgent matters, when the CO2 output of muscles increases, and the O2 demand goes up, blood vessals to organs like the stomach, liver, kidneys etc constrict (vasoconstriction). This happens in the mouth too, even though there is not a huge amount of blood to be gained by rerouting from here, every little helps. This is why your saliva becomes thick and stringy during exercise, due to less being produced, so more of it sits around in your mouth and you swallow less, and less water goes into it too.

After exercise, as the blood goes back to places that were receiving little supply it forces the blood vessals open again, even the ones inside your teeth. This pain you are feeling is most likely the nerves being recompressed as the blood vessals expand again.
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2011, 04:38 AM
    Purplehaze,
    Please note the dates on the original posts. This post is 3 yrs old. I would think the original poster is not concerned with this problem any longer.
    Cheryliiina Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 06:30 PM
    I have always had this problem. I first noticed it when I was 15 or younger. I'm now 34. None of these answers are right. It is NOT cold air, it is NOT a chipped tooth or bad hygiene. I tend to think I just need to run more often, and YES, I feel like it has to do with circulation, but it's weird. Air doesn't hit my bottom teeth. It hits my lower teeth, if anything, and those never hurt. I remember one time, when I was in high school, they hurt so bad that I went to the bathroom and threw up. I was discouraged from running because of this pain. I have been trying to start again... something tells me it has to do with the heart and circulation, but I will keep researching.

Jan 15, 2012, 06:45 PM
    I have always had this problem. I first noticed it when I was 15 or younger. I'm now 34. None of these answers are right. It is NOT cold air, it is NOT a chipped tooth or bad hygiene. I tend to think I just need to run more often, and YES, I feel like it has to do with circulation, but it's weird. Air doesn't hit my bottom teeth. It hits my upper teeth, if anything, and those never hurt. I remember one time, when I was in high school, they hurt so bad that I went to the bathroom and threw up. I was discouraged from running because of this pain. I have been trying to start again... something tells me it has to do with the heart and circulation, but I will keep researching.

Jan 15, 2012, 06:54 PM
    Most of the answers I have read in forums have been very ignorant. Considering most of us have had this all of our lives, it is likely still an issue for the original poster and for many readers. I did a little more research, and what makes the most sense to me were posts from what seemed to be intelligent people. As I mentioned before, I have always felt like it has to do with circulation. I am now convinced. I have began to run again, despite the pain, and as someone told me once, you just have to keep running and one day it will stop. I sincerely believe it is either a heart condition or simply being out of shape. One of the posters was an EMT and he said that he couldn't even tell you the amount of people who complained about their lower teeth aching, before going into cardiac arrest. There are others who explained it by suggesting that the pain is from the increased blood flow from the teeth area because the body is having trouble getting oxygen. Other posters who complained of the same pain were aware of their compromised lung capacity or bronchial infection. I have had this all of my life, again. I need to improve my circulation, that's what it tells me. I think I'll also take some natural supplements for my heart. Cayenne is good for these things too. Intuitively, I knew that's what it was. The ONLY intelligent posts seem to point to the same conclusion. If it eventually goes away with my running, I will let you know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Soul ache [ 48 Answers ]

I found out that my husband of eight years whom I would have given a lung to in a heartbeat has cheated the entire while. I have kids I can't end it all BUT I really have an ache in my heart AND now throwing up and diahreah. I am sick to mt gut literally . I threw him out. WHY did he cheat when I...

Lower denture teeth bite: gum line up or angle teeth forward? [ 8 Answers ]

:cool: Should the bite line of the teeth on the lower denture be forward of the centerline of the gum 5 mm? Would it be better to have the lower teeth in line with the gum?

Stomach ache [ 4 Answers ]

I have a horible stomach ache right now and am really gassy :p and I was wondering if there's anythinbg that helps. Thanks!

Stomach ache [ 2 Answers ]

I have had pelvic pain for about a week with a late period. I am not sexualy active so there for there is not possibilities of being pregnant! What is wrong with me?

View more questions Search