Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mattmsr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
    Hostile work environment
    I was working the other night when my supervisor and a co worker entered my work station and asked me to come to the office, so I went with them and me and the co worker got into a heated argument. My coworker was literally in my face yelling at me, so I looked at my supervisor who was just sitting there and told him that I couldn't do this (because I didn't feel comfortable) and I walked out of the office. My supervisor followed me and started yelling at me as well at the top of his lungs! He got in my face and yelled at me "get back in the office or punch out and go home!" and then I said "his name, you can't corner me like this"! And he told me again, screaming even louder and still in my face to get back in the office or leave. So I walked into the break room to the time clock, punched out, and proceeded to the door to leave. When I reached the door the co worker was blocking it, and was trying to get me to go outside and fight. I told him to get the hell out of my way and I opened the door to leave, he followed me to my car yelling and threatening me along the way. My supervisor came outside about half way through this incident and told me to go home and leave this property, and I told him that was what I was trying to do, the co worker was still threatening me in front of the supervisor. So I left and called the police, I filled a report against the co worker for threatening me and as I told the officer the whole story of what happened she told me that By screaming in my face my supervisor created a hostile work environment and should be reprimanded. Do I have any rights?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 05:54 AM
    Hello mat:

Not legal ones. Unless you were touched, you weren't assaulted, and you can be fired for no reason.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Bosses can yell at you if they want to, may not keep many employees,

The one empoyee that threatened you, you can report him to the police and see if they will press charges.

You did not say what they were accusing you of?? Why was the one employee mad at you, what did the boss want you in the office for.

Too much missing from the story.
    mattmsr Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2008, 01:59 PM
    The co worker thought that I was this respecting him, and in the office we got into an argument over respect (in general) I left the office because it was getting uncomfortable, the co worker was in my face. And then the supervisor wanted me to go back into that atmosphere. I was told by the police afterwards that my supervisor was trying to force me into a hostile work environment, and that that was illegal for him to do because of my right to a safe work environment.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Hello again, mat:

Then why didn't the cops arrest him? Or, if you sue him, use the cops as your lawyers.

Look, the Padre and I told you the truth. If you want to believe the cops, go ahead.

excon
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 03:21 PM
    What was the argument? Why did it get heated? When it started getting rough, why didn't you ask for someone else to come in and be a witness?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Labor law/hostile work environment [ 4 Answers ]

I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was...

Environment varibles after perl program ends [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to save the environment variable that Perl modified after the Perl program ends. example I want to use the PATH that my Perl script set as my unix PATH. Can this be done?

Hostile workplace environment [ 3 Answers ]

I have worked here for just over 1 year. From day one there was one individual who did not like me. Two months after I started there the boss called this individual and myself for a conference where the individual stated that he hated me from the day I started and always would. Things have...

Orca/ environment [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if someone could help, I need to know the environmental conditions under which an orca (killer whale) is found , and the resources it requires for survival?

Map home drive on a Mac environment from WIndows 2000 Server [ 0 Answers ]

Hopefully some one can help me I am using WIndows 2000 Server and have created user accounts on active directory. The lab which the user are going to access this server are using emacs running OS 10.2 & 10.3. I am trying to give user a home directory in which they can save work. -I need a...

View more questions Search