Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trusagitarian33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:32 PM
    Landlord entry/tenant rights
    I have recently moved into an apartment complex (2/05/08) owned privately. Since I've moved in I have notice pest(roaches, mice). This Tuesday (2/12/08) I called the landlord and advised him that my heat was not working, he never returned my call to let me know what he was going to do. He calls me today (2/15/08) to say that he went into my apartment, and he saw a cat (which is not in my lease agreement), I told him I had the cat because of the mice. He then tells me that he is under contract with a pest control co. I would like to know if he was 1. in violation for entering my apartment without letting me know and 2. If
    My apartment has mice, am I wrong for having a cat which is not in my lease.
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 11:20 PM
    He has to give you 24 hours notice that he will be entering your apartment. Mice or not, if your lease agreement doesn't include the cat, you broke the rules. But, he should have never entered your apartment without 24 hours notice. No heat, no return call for 2 days? If you'd known he would be just coming over, he never would have seen the cat... can you pay a pet deposit at this point?
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Feb 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
    I disagree with the above... you advised him you had no heat which would be an EMERGENCY which requires NO NOTICE of entry... and YES, you are WRONG for having a cat... most multi-unit properties have regular pest control services which would be BAD/DANGEROUS for your cat... IMHO, that is a very poor excuse for the cat... you don't want a pet cat to catch a mouse that may have TOXIC pesticide in it's body!!

Your BAD!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 08:10 AM
    Sorry, no he did not have to give you a notice, since you requested the landlord to do repair in your apartment, he did not have to give further notice to come in and do maintenance, if he had wanted to just come in, and do something without you asking for it.

But for example I ask for new filter in my heating system, or a new set of blinds for the patio window, they come in and put them in normally while I am gone and it is fixed when I get home. That is just the way asking for repairs work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord Tenant Rights and Laws in California [ 2 Answers ]

I found a home to rent in Sacramento, California of which is a 12 month Lease. I moved in Sept 01, 2007 and at the time of move in the Landlord himself wasn't present instead it was his brother and collected the move in costs at that time. His brother also had me sign the lease and stated will have...

VA landlord/Tenant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant who has been late with rent since January and is late for May and I will get the money June for May. I have felt sorry because she has children but should I send her a letter and say what?

Tenant- Landlord Rights [ 3 Answers ]

I am currently renting an apartment in new jersey on a month to month lease from the beginning it has been a horror story. When i first rented the apartment i was so happy 1 week before i actually move in the landlord of a 2 family owner occupied building tell me he found a buyer for his home... he...

Landlord entry and more [ 11 Answers ]

The state of Arizona requires 48 hour notice before a landlord can enter an apartment. Today when I got home from work I found that without notice my apartment had been entered. I had no prior knowledge to the managments intentions to enter my apartment. No notice sent no anything. When I...

View more questions Search