Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nickz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 12:40 PM
    Bathroom Leak to Downstairs Ceiling
    My bathroom appears to be leaking into the ceiling of the apartment below me. The tub/bathroom appears to be very old (at least 30+ years) and the maintence person and myself cannot figure out the leak. At one point, we noticed water dripping down from the sides of the tub wall so we installed a new curtain which stopped the dripping but not the leak. We've tried caulking around all the edges of the tub and tried re-grouting the floor, however, the leak persisted. The tile floor appears damp in the corners by the tub wall and also near the toilet. From what I'm told, the leak is actually dripping from the ceiling and they have a bucket to catch the drips. Any suggestions to try and remedy the leak? Should the tile be chiseled out or the ceiling taken down from the apartment below?

Thanks,
    Nick
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Hi Nicz... start at basics... does toilet move at all? Put hands on toilet and try to rock/jiggle, etc... if moves then time to replace the wax gasket under that toilet.. I bet.

Next... remove the shower valve face plate or the handles around the tub/shower handles... if old.. may be hard to do... but if possible stick to it and see if you can see anything happening behind the wall from there... Do n ot forget to operate handles/valve while observing... have good flashlight ready.

Then, really check out shutoffs... packing nuts at the handles. Also, check between toilet bowl and toilet tank... flush and feel around between with dry toilet paper... tey these things.. or if you did try these things.. get back to us with answer. Thank you.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2008, 12:51 PM
    If you've followed the advice given by Massplumber, opened the access panel and found no leaks around the trap then I would focus my attention on the tile grout. Tile grout will shrink over the years allowing water to run down the wall and through the floor onto the ceiling. Next time you shower notice where the stream hits the tile. That's where I'd start looking. Caulk the tile grout where the stream hits and the water bounces off your body. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away. Recently we...

Bathroom upstairs and leak to ceiling directly below it [ 16 Answers ]

I have a two story rental unit. The bathroom with double sinks and a shower is directly over the living room. There is a leak in the ceiling. It has leaked in the same spot before and then stopped. Now, the leak has come back. I have called several plumbers and there solution is to cut a hole...

Leak in on Lounge room ceiling -bathroom above [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I have perodic leak from my bathroom onto the ceiling in my lounge room. I had the first leak at christmas 2 yrs ago. When after bathing the children a tiny amount of water came through a tiny hole in the ceiling into the lounge. It did leave a stain on the ceiling along a straight...

Leak From Bathroom Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just upgraded my water well which required that we run chlorine through the pipes for disinfection. Same week, ceiling started leaking around fan vent. Leak mysteriously stopped for several days and has now started again, same place. When we turn the water off at the pump, the leak continues. We...

Ceiling on downstairs neighbors bathroom is leaking. [ 1 Answers ]

My neighbor's bathroom ceiling has a leak. I live in a condo (they were converted from apartments). The neighbor’s bathroom is right under my bathroom, she stated that I must have a leak. I checked all the plumbing that is visible and my toilet is not clogged and has not been clogged there is...

View more questions Search