Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazmine16 Posts: 70, Reputation: 9

Feb 15, 2008, 07:37 AM
    Accounting for beginners
    How are the nominal accounts closed to revenue and expense summary account?? :confused:
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Can someone who has the ability move this over to finance & accounting? Thanks.

Closing an account is netting it out to zero so you can start over with zero for a new year. To net it out, you have to do the opposite of its balance. i.e. if it has a debit balance, you must credit it to get rid of that balance and net it to zero. Etc. So that's all "closing" the account means.

But you can't just get rid of a balance, because all entries have to balance. So you're going to move it to the Income Summary. (What you seem to be calling Revenue and Expense Summary.) All entries have to balance, so the Income Summary will the exact opposite.

i.e. you have a 5000 debit balance. To close that, you have to credit 5000. Now you have a 5000 credit in your entry. And entries have to balance and we need a 5000 debit. That debit is the summary account, so just plug that in.

You should have an example of this in your book. Take what I just said and see if you can apply that to the example. It's a little harder to see what they've done when you can only see it after the fact, instead of being able to "watch" the process.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Dears, I want to know about the difference between Managerial Accounting and Cost Accounting. Thanks ! Sincerely Yours, Mohammad Naim

Accounting steps for the accounting cycle [ 2 Answers ]

I think I wrote all the steps wrong can someone correct them for me thanks. List the following steps of the accounting cycle in their proper order: a) Preparing the post-closing trial balance.9 b) Posting the journal entries c) Journalizing and posting adjusting entries d) Preparing the...

Computers for beginners [ 10 Answers ]

Why can I receive email but not be able to send, is this an isolated problem or permanent one+what tne heck is the mail daemon? Is my email possesed?

Accounting [ 2 Answers ]

How do I find the double decling-balance method. For my straight-line method I got At the beginning of the current year, Phoenix Company acquired an item of machinery for 160,000. The machinery had a life expectancy of four years an estimated salvage value of 16,000. For the straight-line...

A beginners question [ 1 Answers ]

Would I be correct in assuming that you post the totals from the journals to the general ledgers at the end of each accounting cycle. For example if your accounting period was from the 20th of each month to the next.. you would add all your journal entries and post to ledgers then ?

View more questions Search