Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WAIndian Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 01:03 AM
    L1 in US with family aince October 26, 2007 - taxable marital status - single
    Hi

I came L1 visa from India on October 26 2007, to WA state in USA. I came here along with my wife and two kids (6 yrs and 1 yr).

In W2 and pay slips my marital status is shown as 'single'.

Also, in Jan 2008 I was in India for a 12 day short visit.

In my case

1. Will this 12 days be counted in 183 days?

2. When is the earliest I can file returns to claim tax refunds and standard dedcution for me, spouse and 2 kids.

3. Do I need to get ITIN for both of the kids (even for infant?).

I would appreciate your valuable inputs

Regards
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 29, 2008, 12:44 PM
    1) No. Add 7 days to the end; you get a 5-day grace period.

2) You can file no earlier than 16 June 2008.

3) Yes, submit Form W-7 for your wife and both children.

If you need professional help, contact me at the email address below.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

L1 in US with family for 5 months now, taxable marital status - single! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I am on L1 visa in milwaukee, WI. I came here from INDIA in August 2007 along with my wife and baby on L2. My marital status in pay slips from my employer show as 'single' as they say it requires minimum 181 days stay to change it. During these 5 months, my taxes have been deducted as...

Urgent : Taxable Marital Status [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am residing in US on H1B for last 3 years.I got married in July 2007 in India and my spouse came along with me on H-4 Visa in July 2007 as well.I changed my marital status as "married" on the Employers Corporate WebSite. But did not change the W-4 information separately Now I received...

How to change the Taxable Marital Status in W-2 (from MARRIED to SINGLE)? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Friend, Thanks for looking into my query. Your help is much appreicated. I came to US on Jan 2006. I was married but my family didn't came with me (joined w/ me this Feb 2007) and I remember that I filed the W-4 with the marital status MARRIED. Now when I tried to file the tax online (w/...

On Tax Marital Status. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello AMHD, I am married and have a kid of one year old. I came to US on Aug 2005 on H1 visa. My family got their H4 visa's on Dec 2005 and they came to US on Feb 2006. Now my question is What is My Tax Marital Status? Can I claim my wife and kid are dependent on me? Thanks Pro

What will be my taxable marital status [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am married 2 yrs back.I am living in usa since may'2005 along with my wife.I have received my w2 form where it has been stated as Single.I have asked my employer to change that and sent them a new w4 form.My wife does not have any income and she does not have any social security number...

View more questions Search