Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KLS2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 06:23 PM
    Reupholstering antique gentleman's chair
    Hi. I have reupholstered a few things before, but in the past the projects were always square. I am now trying to recover a late 1800s "gentleman's" chair. The chair has a round seat that is about 4 or 5 inches high at the edges (it's deeper in the center). The chair also has a roundish back, arms, and queen ann type legs. Here is the problem: How in the world do you take a piece of fabric, lay it on a round seat and have it lay smoothly everywhere? The original fabric did not have any gathering or pleats, no seams, etc. This has me totally baffled. This is not the type of chair (like a dining chair) where you fold the fabric under the seat and tack it; it's a carved wood chair where you tack the fabric to the wood on the outside and cover the edges with gimp. Any help would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks! ~kls2
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2008, 12:23 AM
    What kind of fabric is it that you are going to use, please? Also, when I re-upholster antique chairs, I like to leave as much of the original material as possible in order to retain the integrity of the piece as being an antique.
    KLS2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2008, 07:36 AM
    I am using a damask fabric, medium weight. I understand trying to keep the piece as authentic as possible, and though I'm using the same horse hair and the decorative tacks over the gimp, I have decided to staple the fabric on instead of using the old tacks/nails. Does the type of fabric used matter as far as putting it over a round seat? The original fabric was thicker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have an Antique if so what is it worth [ 8 Answers ]

I think I have some antiques but I'm not sure. I have a set of black cast iron hitching post horse heads. Its just the heads not the post. Are they antique? I also have a set of Red Game cock rosters liq. Bottle collectibles. On the bottom it has Heritage China 1970 S.N-7 Ezra Brooks. Are they...

How do I antique after painting? [ 1 Answers ]

I recently used an antiquing kit from Rustoleum's American Accents collection and the look is awful. The base coat is ivory and the stain top coat is a brown color. It doesn't look antiqued to me, it just resembles an off white color that someone threw muddy water on. After reading online...

Antique headboard [ 2 Answers ]

I recently bought a headboard/footboard from a dealer, who only had two of the brackets. They are made to hook into the old board (single hook) and bolt onto a modern frame. I've attached a photo of the bracket. Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Or know of a different bracket that has a...

What kind of chair is this 'Lady Chair' ? [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I recently inherited a chair shown in the following photos: http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair1.jpg http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair2.jpg http://forsale.surfbytes.com/chair3.jpg It is lacquered, with a curved wood back and seat.

Antique mower [ 1 Answers ]

I have an antique riding lawn mower that has a Briggs and Stanton engine, was made by MILBRADT. My guess it was made in the 1920's or 30's. Does anyone know anything about these? Year or value?

View more questions Search