Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunny_1111_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 04:32 PM
    How I know the exact location of person with whom I am chatting on Yahoo messenger .
    :rolleyes:How I know the exact location of person with whom I am chatting on Yahoo messenger .
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 11:41 PM
    I would have to ask... why would you want to know?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2008, 12:12 AM
    If I were chatting with you and did not really know you, I wouldn't want you to know where I was.

Think about it: some pervert gets on there, looking for young girls to chat with, and find out where they're at, so he can go do who knows what with them. Do you think Yahoo Messenger is going to make it easy for you to find out where people are? Even if you personally are perfectly innocent, you have to remember that no one knows that, you have to remember that anyone can get on the internet, they can get Yahoo Messenger, they can come here, they can go anywhere.

It's not a good idea to let people know where you are either, unless you get to know them very well. I mean, knowing what country or state you're in is one thing. Just don't get too detailed.
    revs007 Posts: 8, Reputation: -2

Feb 16, 2008, 04:24 AM
    There are several s/w which can reveal the user location & ip etc. like PC info , ip spy
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2008, 06:24 AM
    If the person you are chatting with had a life -- have you seen cams of these clowns

Safety on the Internet

GirlSite - GS Network: a place to tell your story

People on the internet strech the truth -- In chat they really strech it!!
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 16, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sunny_1111_1
    How i know the exact location of person with whom i am chatting on yahoo messenger .
    To answer your question, it is NOT possible to know or even find out the EXACT location of anyone you are talking to over the internet.
    This is due to the way in which packets of data are routed and the various connection types employed by the various ISP's.

For example I am located in the UK yet my IP address idents me as posting from Holland or even Germany.
    While IP's from the USA ISP's do give a better general location for each connection this is NOT true for the whole world or even AOL members.

For an indepth discussion refer to this old question: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/intern...-me-17262.html
    invisibleman_productions Posts: 207, Reputation: 12

Feb 16, 2008, 09:46 AM
    This software would help if you know the IP VisualRoute Business Edition - traceroute, IP tracer, trace route, tracert .Again like Curlyben said this will not give the exact location for a lot of ip addresses. Like AOL for example.
    Da Bigchamp Posts: 360, Reputation: 18

Feb 18, 2008, 07:55 PM
    You cannot find the exact location of someone over instant messaging, you may be able to find a general range of where they're living like state or something but no exact address.
    tnwoman Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 01:20 PM
    Why would you be conversing with them anyway?
    :confused:

But can search for them in Yahoo Member Search or look into the 360 pages. There are all sorts of ways to search for someone there.

At least that's how I do it. I'm on Yahoo Personals, and if you don't pay, you have to find the people someway. Good Luck!

TnWoman
    kapilddit Posts: 1, Reputation: 0

Jan 4, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Can I get the location of the person to whom I am chatin on Facebook??
    How can it is possible? Or possible up to some extend... mean getting the ip adddress and something closer that..
    Any help will be appriciated...
    Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 4, 2012, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kapilddit View Post
    Can I get the location of the person to whom I am chatin on facebook???
    How can it is possible ?? or possible upto some extend....mean getting the ip adddress and something closer that..
    any help will be appriciated...
    thanks
    NOT possble.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 07:34 AM
    As CurlyBen stated... if someone is even halfway computer litereate and wants to hide... there are numerous ways to make it look like you are in any number of countries or to even hide your true IP in the one you are in.

That is both the advantage and the bane of the internet.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Want to know the location of the person I am chatting in gtalk! [ 5 Answers ]

I want to know whether the person I'm talking to is really in seoul or not. Although he says seoul, I can't be sure. Is there a way to check whether he's chatting from seoul? I'm currently living in myanmar. Thanks

About Yahoo messenger [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am asking a question about Yahoo messenger. I installed the Yahoo messenger, invited my friends, when I pop up a friend and when I type to them I can't see it on my window, but they can. What can I do to fix it where I can read all messages on Yahoo messenger?

Can I get to know d location of the person who is currently chatting to me? [ 35 Answers ]

Can I get to know d xact location (country / city / street / house num.) of the person who is currently chatting to me?

MSN Messenger OR Yahoo Messenger [ 3 Answers ]

Which do you prefer?

Is there way to access the computer of(the person you are chatting with) ,while chat? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, My question is ,Is it possible to gain access to the computer( the person you are chatting with) ,while in a chat.. If it's really possible then how? I just want 2 gain access to my friends PC , while on a chat conversation.. Please help with this... I have learnt about...

View more questions Search