Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ricksterv4n1x8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 06:30 PM
    Shower water leaking onto floor then through ceiling
    I have a problem where shower water leaks under the shower curtain onto the floor (for example, when the kids or visitors take a shower) then works its way through the ceiling below. As far as I can tell, the water goes under the toilet base and finds its way through the floor by way of the hole for the toilet flange. I tried sealing around the toilet base to stop this but it still finds its way under the toilet base and then through the floor to the ceiling below. What should I use to properly seal the outside of the toilet flange (between the toilet flange and the tile floor?). I want it to be 100% leakproof. Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 21, 2006, 10:57 PM
    Hey Rick,You're going at this the wrong way. You don't contain a leak. You stop it at its source. Longer shower curtain? Tuck it inside the shower threshold? Shower doors? You're going to have a problem as long as you allow water to escape from the shower. To answer your question we use white Dap Tub and Tile Caulk to caulk the base of the bowl. Good luck, Tom
    ricksterv4n1x8 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2006, 09:17 AM
    Thanks. I my case, I REALLY need to contain the leak. If the toilet overflows (happens every few years) or if somebody spills or drips water on the floor accidentally it just all goes down the outside of the toilet flange onto the ceiling below. I've had to repair this ceiling two times which has been terrible. I will follow your advice to use caulk but around the base of the bowl? Why not the toilet flange where it goes through the floor? Also, I've heard that if you caulk completely around the base of the toilet and water for some reason seeps OUt through the flange, then rotting will occur. For that reason, there should be some openings around the toilt base. Thanks!
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 23, 2006, 10:53 AM
    "I've heard that if you caulk completely around the base of the toilet and water for some reason seeps OUt through the flange, then rotting will occur. For that reason, there should be some openings around the toilt base."

There should be no water under the bowl. We caulk all the toilets we install to hide the crack and give our work a professional finish not to prevent water from running down the closet stubup.

"Why not the toilet flange where it goes through the floor?"
    Because there's not supposed to be any water around the closet flange in the first place.

" I my case, I REALLY need to contain the leak. If the toilet overflows (happens every few years) or if somebody spills or drips water on the floor accidentally it just all goes down the outside of the toilet flange onto the ceiling below. I've had to repair this ceiling two times which has been terrible"

The best advice I can give if you wish to water proof your floor is to polyurethane the entire floor. Good luck, Tom
    aaron.harper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2010, 06:13 PM
    I agree with Tom. Stopping the leak in the shower is going to be your best bet since that is where the majority of the water is coming from. Not sure what you could do about the toilet overflowing (perhaps the pipes need to be cleaned?) but the occasional spill on the floor should be easily contained with some bath mats.

For sealing up your shower try a shower curtain sealer or a full shower curtain sealer kit. I've got the deluxe kit and it works great for keeping water in my shower. I've never got a wet floor when I get out.
    ricksterv4n1x81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 12:51 PM
    Well, here it is five years later and we now have more leaking despite redoing our bathroom. I like the bath mat idea and the better shower curtain idea. I still haven't fixed the ceiling below (in our den) and hesitate to do so unless I know for sure the leaks won't reoccur. I even am thinking of hanging some sort of pan below the toilet just in case.. .
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 30, 2011, 01:53 PM
    I even am thinking of hanging some sort of pan below the toilet just in case. .
    So what happens when the pan overflows? Welcome back! But after 5 years you still talk of containing the leak instead of locating the source and fixing it.
    What's leaking now? The toilet or the shower? Let's see if we can nail down the source. Back to you, Tom
    ricksterv4n1x81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 30, 2011, 02:16 PM
    The leak source is definitely spillover from the shower. Our kids shower and aren't perfect with the shower curtain. It leaks over onto the floor and gets through to the ceiling below through either the base of the toilet or the hole for the cold water piping. Both of which have been sealed by a professional plumber. Again, this hasn't happened for several years now but I hate to think of having to deal with this every few years, especially since I don't want to have to repair the ceiling below too often. We are now thinking of adding shower doors which should prevent the spillover issue and maybe that will be all we need. Thanks for your help!
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 31, 2011, 06:52 AM
    I was thinking of adding a shower door when I go to your last sentence, Short of making the kids shower outside under the hose that's your best option. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking Tiled Shower Stall Floor Drain... [ 1 Answers ]

We had our shower stall replaced in 1998 due to the pan beneath the tile leaking... a new liner and re-tile job was done... well, now there is a wet spot below in the same spot and after opening the ceiling, I find that the plastic fitting going into the plastic floor hub is leaking. Looks like the...

Shower Stall is leaking through the floor [ 11 Answers ]

I have a stand up shower on the second floor of the house. We've had two chronic issues lately. The hot water faucet is difficult to shut off and sometimes takes a lot of pressure to shut off Second, the shower often fills with water and is slow to drain. Last night we developed a...

Tile floor shower drain leaking [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 65 year-old Spanish style house and I have a Tile floor shower drain leaking problem. When I apply silicon around the connection of drain and tile, it temporally stop the leak, however. A couple of weeks later, it leaks again. Any advise or recommendation of a handyman will be greatly...

Upstairs shower leaking to 1st floor ceiling [ 14 Answers ]

My upstairs shower is leaking to 1st floor ceiling. Below is my troubleshooting: * I tested by not using the shower for awhile, leak stopped so I know it's not from water line. * I had water going directly to drain pipe, no leak so I know it's not the pipes under the floor. * I took drain cover...

Leaking Shower Drain Tile Floor [ 1 Answers ]

Hi- I purchased this house two years ago and at that point the stand up shower had some sort of sealant that was placed in a very sloppy manner around the drain. However the home inspector said it was OK although to me it looked like something to worry about. Well now I have a leak bad enough to...

View more questions Search