Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dierdre Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 01:38 PM
    My cd drive won't open! What should I do?
    Well aside from hiring a technician to fix this, is there any other method? A friend told me to get a paperclip and point it at the smallest hole that's located at the front of the cd drive. The 3rd one at the far right.he told me that was what will aid the cd drive to open.I haven't tried it yet though, since I can't seem to find a paperclip. Do you have any suggestions as to how I can make my cd drive to open? Maybe there's a way I can do it myself? Thanks.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 03:31 PM
    How are you trying to open so far? Is it stuck because something's jammed it, or the operating system (Windows?) just isn't opening the drive? Are you pushing the open button on the computer itself?

My open button doesn't work on my computer, either. I open the drive by going to START > MY COMPUTER, then I right-click on the CD drive icon and select EJECT from the popup menu that appears.

The paper clip thing works like a charm, too.

Feb 16, 2008, 10:41 AM
    Well I tried both methods, the eject button and the right click option but to no avail.. sometimes the PC reads the E drive which is my cd drive sometimes it doesn't so the E icon doesn't appear sometimes. I haven't tried the paper clip method because I haven't found one yet. Do I have to poke it real hard? I might damage something.. nothings jammed here because my cousin fixed this PC and told us that there always has to have a cd inside for it to open, well I don't know how true is that theory..
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 16, 2008, 12:01 PM
    You won't break anything with the paperclip. Make a straight needle with it and stick it straight and firm. Nothing to break by doing that.

In fact, even a needle would work.

Mar 4, 2008, 09:25 AM
    Hi there! I finally found a paperclip, but unfortunately even if our PC occasionally reads the E drive, the drive still won't open.. I tried poking it real hard but all it did was made the PC read the drive endlessly,so the cd icon beside the mouse won't disappear until it hangs and I have to reset it.. (sigh)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My c drive doesn't open? [ 4 Answers ]

My cd rom drive has a disk in it and now I can't get it open. Any help for the computer iliterate?:confused:

My itunes won't open at all, does anybody know how to get it to open? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently got my computer back after having new virus scanns on my computer downloaded.. and I have used itunes since then but last night when I logged out and logged back in this morning, when I click on itunes, all that happens is it has the mouse thing which looks like its loading for a couple...

Open the drive [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Please help me, My Computer was infected some worm which alters the autorun for the disk drives present on your computer. I got it removed but I don't know how to restore my autorun to its normal functioning! When I double click a drive it asks me which program to open it with so I have to...

CD Drive won't open [ 4 Answers ]

I have a compact and my CD drive won't open. Does anyone know what might be wrong.

I am not able to open C Drive. [ 2 Answers ]

HI Sir, I have locked my C drive and one folder from D drive using lock folder xp 3.6 10 days back, but after that yesterday I opend the lock folder to unlock the C drive, then I seen that there is no C drive in my locked iteam, only another folder was there. I have unlocked that folder for use,...

View more questions Search