Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mani_jeddah Posts: 75, Reputation: -1

Feb 14, 2008, 08:46 AM
    What is sanskrit?
    Which kind of language is it n from which region?
    Really I don't know
    lgehner Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 09:23 AM
    Sanskrit is a classic language of the Indian sub-continent (Indo-European), gathered from the languages of Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism. It's one of the 23 official languages of India.

Vedic Sanskrit is considered the earliest Indo-Aryan languages and dates back to at least 1500 BCE.

I hope this answers your question!
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Feb 28, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Sanskrit is the oldest extisting member of the Indo-european grop of languages.
    Here is the family tree:

Indo-European
    |
    Indo-Iranian
    |
    Indo-Aryan
    |
    Indic
    |
    Sanskrit

For writing it uses Devanagari script( The Script of City of Gods) which is a phonetic script i.e. the words are written as they are spoken. Sanskrit has basic root verbs from which verbs with a variety of meanings are derived by adding prefixes. Verb forms are made from root verbs by adding suffixes. All the verbs in Sanskrit are divided into 10 major classes & further subdivided for which there are different group of suffixes. It will not be far fetched to say Sanskrit was earliest language to have implemented the concept of OOP = Object Oriented Programming. This is a concept in software programming where all the required substructures are premade & then simply connected by referencing them at the right place.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:08 AM
    So, if the words are written as they are spoken, and I would assume in no matter what language they are translated from into the Sanskrit script, is there a set way of translating them based upon the Sanskrit characters that are used?

Mar 2, 2008, 07:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    So, if the words are written as they are spoken, and I would assume in no matter what language they are translated from into the Sanskrit script, is there a set way of translating them based upon the Sanskrit characters that are used?
    This holds true for writing names in Sanskrit. It is transliteration not translation. Otherwise there are fixed rules of grammar & noun declensions that are used.
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drkpp
    This holds true for writing names in Sanskrit. It is transliteration not translation. Otherwise there are fixed rules of grammar & noun declensions that are used.
    Is this something that only holds true for writing names in Sanskrit? I just would appreciate clarification concerning that. Thank you!

Does it work the same for other words also besides just names? As you mention, there are fixed rules of grammar and noun declensions that are used. Is there a site where one could learn how to transliterate words used, such as in a sentence?

Mar 2, 2008, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Is this something that only holds true for writing names in Sanskrit? I just would appreciate clarification concerning that. Thank you!

Does it work the same for other words also besides just names? As you mention, there are fixed rules of grammar and noun declensions that are used. Is there a site where one could learn how to transliterate words used, such as in a sentence?
    Transliteration holds true for names only. For other words their meanings are translated using the appropriate words in Sanskrit. Sanskrit grammar is ruled by an Epic treatise written by PaNini nearly 5000 years ago in vedic times when it was a mainly a spoken dialect. He is aptly called "Father of Linguistics".
    It is here:
    The Sanskrit Heritage Site
    Uber Member

Mar 2, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by drkpp
    Transliteration holds true for names only. For other words their meanings are translated using the appropriate words in Sanskrit. Sanskrit grammar is ruled by an Epic treatise written by PaNini nearly 5000 years ago in vedic times when it was a mainly a spoken dialect. He is aptly called "Father of Linguistics".
    It is here:
    The Sanskrit Heritage Site
    Thank you! I will be checking out the site!
    abhikoushik Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2008, 02:06 AM
    Hi Sanskrit is one of the oldest and mother of all languages.
    Allmost all words from other languages were derived from Sanskrit like Father---->Peetha,
    Mother------->Maathru,Brother------->Bhatru etc

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sanskrit translation thank you [ 6 Answers ]

Can someone plese translate into sanskrit the name randi-leigh? It is pronounced ran-dee lee Thank you very much Drew

I want to get a tattoo in sanskrit [ 5 Answers ]

How do I write pure life? In spanish pura vida? For mu tattoo

Sanskrit translation [ 1 Answers ]

What are the words in sanskrit that means "success"?

View more questions Search