Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lnanas5 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2008, 07:51 AM
    I just got my cartilage pierced
    And the piercer told me to clean it four to five times a day for two weeks, then only clean it 2-3 times a day. He told me to rotate it back and forth cause I got it done with a needle, and they gave me a hoop. Is that the wrong thing to do? It has been a few days now, and my ear hurts when I touch it to clean it, sometimes on its own, and is red and a little swollen. Nothing looks infected though. So is this the right thing to still do, clean it a lot, or should I cut back and the redness and pain will go down?
    karent23 Posts: 133, Reputation: 8

Feb 14, 2008, 08:24 AM
    You need to clean it every day. I had mine pierced with a hoop and it hurt like hell. Be prepared for it to hurt for like hell for a good 6 months. Mine also was swollen. The only thing that helps is time.

Feb 14, 2008, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by karent23
    You need to clean it every day. I had mine pierced with a hoop and it hurt like hell. Be prepared for it to hurt for like hell for a good 6 months. Mine also was swollen. The only thing that helps is time.
    Well I know I need to clean it every day, but is 4-5 times too much do you think?

Feb 14, 2008, 10:16 AM
    What are you cleaning it with?

Feb 14, 2008, 12:02 PM
    Dial
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2008, 02:14 PM
    Cleaning it 4-5 times per day is entirely too much. You should clean it twice a day for the first week that you have it, and then after that reduce to one time per day.

Every time you clean it you interrupt the healing process. The more you clean it, the longer it will take to heal. Cleaning one time per day should especially be followed with cartilage piercings because they can take up to a year to heal in the first place.

If taken care of properly, the redness and swelling should diminish in about a week. Overcleaning can irritate your piercing and therefore prolong the period of redness and swelling.

If you are ever worried about infection, here are some signs to look for : severe redness, severe swelling and/or a green or yellow discharge that smells bad. Signs of an advanced infection include the symptoms I have just listed, plus fever and/or chills. If you have any of these symptoms, see a doctor for antibiotics.

Good luck! :)

Feb 14, 2008, 08:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    Cleaning it 4-5 times per day is entirely too much. You should clean it twice a day for the first week that you have it, and then after that reduce to one time per day.

Every time you clean it you interrupt the healing process. The more you clean it, the longer it will take to heal. Cleaning one time per day should especially be followed with cartilage piercings because they can take up to a year to heal in the first place.

If taken care of properly, the redness and swelling should diminish in about a week. Overcleaning can irritate your piercing and therefore prolong the period of redness and swelling.

If you are ever worried about infection, here are some signs to look for : severe redness, severe swelling and/or a green or yellow discharge that smells bad. Signs of an advanced infection include the symptoms I have just listed, plus fever and/or chills. If you have any of these symptoms, see a doctor for antibiotics.

Thank you!

Feb 15, 2008, 08:12 AM
    I assumed you were using a cleaning solution... I wouldn't use dial too much on it. You should get a cleaning solution that is easy to put on it. They tend to work better. I don't think I even ever used soap to clean my piercing.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lnanas5
    thank you!!
    You're welcome! And you are doing right by using the anti-bacterial soap. That is exactly what you should be using.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Just got cartilage pierced with piercing gun. Scared of keloids/scars/infections [ 8 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced with a piercing gun at Claire's 3 days ago, and I regret that I did not do my research before I got it. After having it done, I researched online and all websites say that piercings guns should never be used for cartilage piercings because of all these reasons, and...

I pierced my own cartilage and it REALLY hurts [ 9 Answers ]

I'm 14 and I know it had to be one of the stupidest things ever but yes I did let my friend pierce my cartilage 5 days ago. I didn't hurt at all when I did it. We iced it, they marked the spot with a pin, and they stuck the ear ring through. That night and the next day I was fine, but now it's...

Cartilage Piercing? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced. It is like a regular cartilage piercing and i went to Piercing Pagoda. My ear is swollen but it doesn't hurt. My mom and I don't know whether we should take it out or keep it in and see what happens. They did it with a gun not a needle. Is there a difference between...

I just got my cartilage pierced about 2-3 weeks ago. [ 3 Answers ]

So I just got my cartalige piercing a few weeks ago, and it seems to be doing fine, it only hurt the first week but now is perfect . When can I start changing the earring.. and how long does it take for and infection to start usually. Thanks :p

Cartilage [ 5 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced about 4 days ago by a friend. It didn't really hurt that bad until now. It's a little red, but not swollen or anything like that. It just stings really bad. I don't know what I should do because my parents don't know about the piercing. Is there anything I can do...

View more questions Search