Ask
    carolsommer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 08:48 PM
    Capital gain tax on home sale
    Do I owe taxes on the gain from my home sale?:confused:
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 14, 2008, 10:29 AM
    You can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain on the sale of your main home if all of the following are true.
    During the 5-year period ending on the date of the sale, you must have: Owned the home for at least 2 years and Lived in the home as your main home for at least 2 years. If you can exclude the profit, then you don't need to report the sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital gain tax - home sale and purchase [ 1 Answers ]

I am a permanent resident in USA for last 5 years. I sold my home in India in May end this year, and purchasing a home in USA by October end for much larger amount. Do I get any relief in INDIA from capital gain tax?

Home sale - capital gains tax? [ 2 Answers ]

I am selling my home in NYS and will have a gain within the exclusion amount of $250,000. I was the owner listed on the title even though the property was owned by myself and my mother. (I did this because I applied for the loan by myself.) She provided the down payment and we both paid the...

Capital Gain Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have purchased a defaulted home as an investment property. I have renovated the home & now I am planning to sell it. I never used that home for my residence purpose. I know that property held for more than one year will be taxed as long term property. I want to know, how the holding...

Tax on Long term capital gain [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Please update me on the latest tax rates when it comes to Short term & Long term capital gains from equity investments. Any information will be highly appreciated Thanks Gaurav

Capital Gain Tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hello all, I am new to this forum and have a question about Capital gain tax I inherited a comercial property from my father in 1998. At the time of probate the property was valued at $150,000.00 I Have just accepted an offer to sell for $110,000.00 Do I owe Capital Gain Taxes?

View more questions Search