Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Flintstones1962 Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jan 21, 2006, 12:05 PM
    Wants to move the file server...
    Hello,
    I've a domain controller which is running different servers, one of them is the file server.
    Now I want to make the file server runs on another computer dedicated for this purpose only in order to reduce the load on the computer which playing the role as DC.

How can I do this ?

Greetings,
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 21, 2006, 12:34 PM
    Do you have another server available, or do you want to use a regular workstation. If so you need to know that workstations will typically only allow 10 simultaneous connections on the network. You know if this will be a problem or not.

The next question is how complex is your current file sharing setup? Do you have lots of shares in use? If not just disconnect everyone from the shared folders, move the files to the new server machine and re-share the folders.

If it is more complex than that you might want to look in to Distributed File System options to replicate the files over to the new server but keep the path the same, effectively fooling the clients that they are looking at the original path but pointing them to the new storage point.

Jan 21, 2006, 12:38 PM
    Thanks,
    But how will the DC sees the file server ?
    I've given the new file server a fast IP address from the reserved ones.
    What should I do more to make the DC sees the file server.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 21, 2006, 12:41 PM
    As long as the fileserver is a member of your domain then the DC will see it.

Jan 25, 2006, 01:50 AM
    Hello again,
    I did it in a maybe simple way like this...
    Just went to the computer management (on the DC ), and selected to connect to another computer. And under the shares I've shared the Hard disk of that remote computer (the remote computer is a member of the domain ), and finally I've published my new share to the AD, so all the users can see the shares via AD. And actually that was my problem to make the remote shares shared via AD.

Thanks for everybody...

Greetings,
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Jan 25, 2006, 02:47 PM
    Glad you got it sorted - that's the main thing

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to upgrade my file server [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I started to night on my upgrade project buying a gigabit ethernet card for the G4 500 Sawtooth. I now need a 10/100/1000 hub or switch and a further card to let the G3 used as a file server speedup a bit. The G3 is only 350mghz. Is it fast enough to take a gigabit card? Or would I be...

Disc space on file server [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to monitor disc space usage on a file server, do you know any system that can measure the level of space usage and keep track the warning level of space usage? I want a minotor system that can alert users on the server about their disc space and how to maintain them. Thank you for your...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

Folder and file encryption on server [ 2 Answers ]

As a consulting manager I have to manage teams of 20 or more people. As we work on the client site, we only have access to the servers of the client. We create folders on the servers client to keep all of our documentation and be able to share it within the team. In this documentation, some of...

If I file 1040NR, do I file state as nonresident? [ 1 Answers ]

The title says it all-I worked in several states but I am foreigner. Does that mean that I file state taxes as non-resident as well?

View more questions Search