Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jp2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 11:01 AM
    Statute of limitations
    I went to renew my license in NY state and there is a hold from NM for a failure to appear for DWI from 1994.:eek: they said they" just updated their computers to add me to the system". The clerk I spoke to in NM said I "must pay bond" and "appear in NM" to resolve this issue.:mad: can I have this dissmissed and or pay fines from NY without going back to NM? Thanks for any and all help. JP :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 04:17 PM
    Sol
    You may be able to hire an attorney in NM to represent you in court.

The problem is there is no statue of limiation on failure to appear. Actually statue of limiation only applies to a crime done that no one has been charged, once a person is charged there is no time frame.

In your case basically you would have been either found guilty and also had a bench warrant issued for failure to appear. If the judge there is a hard case, he can require you personally to appear.

So you will need to hire a NM attorney and see if he can settle it for you.
    Expect a fairly large fine, much higher than the original ticket.
    Take this seriously.
    jp2000 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 04:56 PM
    Thank you chuck for the info, what is sad about this whole situiation is the way the state of NM went about this after 11 years. I was in their prison system from 95-96 and you would think they would have handled it then since I was in their custody. Well I guess I won't be driving for some time now. Thanks again, later JP!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2006, 11:32 AM
    Ill
    I had something about the same, as a teen, I sort of ran a stop sign and hit another car. Well I guess years latter this was added to a computer system, my in my case I had to post a bond so I would not be locked up until I went to find out about that old ticket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Long story short... I have autobody bills outstanding, I have been sent all the invoices for them with the dates. The earliest date being 2 years ago and last one 4 years ago, this is the first letter sent about this issue. They tell me they will take me to court. What is the statute of...

Statute of limitations in Canada [ 15 Answers ]

I want to know how long the statute of limitations is on a debt to a third party who secured a loan that was defaulted on. I am Canadian and the debt was incured here in Canada.:confused:

Ontario Statute of Limitations for Lawsuits [ 4 Answers ]

The Proceedings Authorization Committee of the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) will be addressing a list of complaints against my mother’s lawyer within the next month that I filed back in November 2004. After a very lengthy & thorough investigation, the assigned Law Society investigator has...

Statute of limitations [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and 10 years ago my father got into an accident at work which left him unable to work, he didn't know english and so he couldn't find another job, the insurance company didn't give us a penny for 5 years and so we were forced to go on welfare. I was about 11 years old...

Statute of limitations [ 6 Answers ]

What is the statute of limitations after taking chapter seven bankruptcy in the state of Illinois, for a second mortgage to be null if I have reafirmed on the 1st. Mortgage? I went bankrupt in 2001 I reafirmed on the initial mortgage and not on the 2nd. Can I ever sell the property without paying...

View more questions Search