Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zathura Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 09:09 AM
    Source of income different from state of work and residence
    I was in F1- OPT from feb 1 of 2005 and got employed by a firm in NJ and am working as a IT tech support for a client in Nashville ,TN. I have been living in TN for about an year now. I have been paying the federal tax (15%) and also the NJ state tax till date. From August I have transferred to an H1 visa after which I've been paying the other required taxes too.
    I would like to know :
    1.if I have to pay all the 15% fedtax during the OPT period since I'm a student and also since I'm from india do I get the std deduction? If so what amt? I haven't left us in 2005.
    2. can I claim a full /partial refund for the NJ tax as as I was physically working and staying in TN though my source is from NJ.
    3. or do I have to pay tax for both states i.e. state of source of income and state of residence and work.
    Any help would be highly apprciated. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 07:39 PM
    Zathura:

1) You must file a tax return to settle your taxes. If you check several other postings, you will be able to review the three options available to you:
    - File as a non-resident alien (for 1040NR)
    - File as a dual status alien (Form 1040 with 1040NR attached as a statement).
    - File as a resident alien (Form 1040) sometime in March.

Regardless of which way you choose, you can claim the standard deduction of $5,000.

2 & 3) Because you worked and lived only in Tennessee, you owe zero NJ tax. Instruct your employer to stop withholding NJ tax. File a NJ tax return as a non-resident to claim a refund of all taxes withheld. Since TN has no income tax, no state taxes should be withheld henceforth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What state would I pay income tax in? [ 1 Answers ]

If I worked in one state but lived in another, which one would I pay income tax in? Sates would prob be Vermont and New Hampshire, or MA and NH.

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

No state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

What other state besides Tennessee does not have a state income tax on individual earnings?

Length of time for primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

What is the length of time required by law that you need to be in a house (as your primary residence) before you can sell it?

Social Work-Child Residence Programs-Role of Fathe [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is an MSW and is the Residence Manager at a home for troubled children. The programs she manages within the residential setting are: Residential Treatment, Family Therapy, Parent Group, Continuing Service (after the child leaves the residence), School Advocacy and Psychiatric...

View more questions Search