Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    love-javier Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Getting my ex to sign over his rights so my son can be adopted
    I don't know how I can get my ex (who has never even seen my son) to sign over his rights so that my boyfriend, who has been a part of his life since the later months of my pregnancy, to sign over his rights. If you know anything at all about this pleas answer!

Feb 13, 2008, 01:22 PM
    Getting My ex to give up his rights.
    I have a two year old son and I'm young. My ex boyfriend parents moved to TX when I got pregnant and were busted twice for drugs so I completely stopped talking to all of them. They have never seen my son or anything and my boyfriend has been a father to my son since he was born. When we get married we want him to be able to adopt him. Im pretty sure that my ex will sign the papers but I don't even know where to get them... do we just go to the courthouse? Do we hafto do a DNA test and if so do I hafto pay for it?
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2008, 07:06 AM
    You ex will have to WILLINGLY relinquish his parental rights in order for the child to be adopted.
    If he refuses, there really isn't much you can do... that is his right.

If he agrees, you will need to get an attorney because in most states, by law you need one for the adoption.
    If the father is on the birth certificate, then no, you wouldn't have to have a DNA test done.
    If he isn't, then yes, paternity would have to be established in order for him to relinquish his rights.

But there is really no rush now... most states require you to be married a year before adoption will even be considered. So you might as well wait until you are married, then start looking into it.

Feb 28, 2008, 07:01 PM
    How my ex gives up his rights.
    My ex boyfriend and I had a child two years ago and he has never been a part of his life. His name is not on his birh certificat or anything. What is the next step for him to give up his parental rights to my son can be adopted by my soon to be husband? Does he just go to the cour house? Or do I send him papers or what?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2008, 07:21 PM
    If he is not on the birth certificate what rights does he have to give up?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 28, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Yes, for your soon to be husband to adopt, he has to sign over his rights with permission to adopt. Is there any custody agreement from the court, has he signed accepting being the father and was child support ordered against him, Since it is possible the court may require that he proves or has been previously ruled by some court as the father. *** so you can't just get any man off the street to sign that they were the father to adopt.

But your attorney doing the adoption will fill out forms for him to sign, these forms will be filed with the court. The judge may accept, may require documentation that this man is the father.

Also some states in the US, require you to be married first and also some require you to be married for a year first, so not sure on your specific state

Feb 28, 2008, 07:43 PM
    Than you all for your help... I think it does require a year... and no we have not gone to court or anything at all like that. So I would have to get a lawyer for the adoption process anyway that would handle all of it?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2008, 07:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by love-javier
    Than you all for your help...i think it does require a year...and no we have not gone to court or anything at all like that. so i would have to get a lawyer for the adoption process anyways that would handle all of it?
    You definitely need a lawyer to prepare adoption papers.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2008, 07:24 AM
    First off you will most likely have to be married before your "soon to be husband" could adopt... even then, most states require you to be married at least a year before filing in court.
    Also, most states require, by law, that you have an attorney for the adoption... so yes, it would be easier to have it all done by the attorney.

Do you know where the father is?
    Do you think he willing willingly relinquish his rights?

I ask these questions because your answers will lead down different paths. If you don't know where the father is... this procedure may take a bit longer. You will have to make a good faith effort to locate him. This is usually done by a public announcement in newspapers which have to run for a certain amount of time determined by the court. If the father doesn't come forward, the adoption can go ahead. If he does come forward, he can contest or relinquish his rights.

It is easier if you know where he is, and if you think he will willingly relinquish his rights. (I am going through this personally right now). If the adoption is not contested, meaning the ex is willing to sign over his rights, then you can probably find an attorney that will take care of it all for a flat fee. But you need to visit with more than one attorney, get free consultations, as their flat fees vary greatly. For example, one attorney I visited wanted $1000 flat fee and wanted it all up front before he would start anything. Another one I visited only wanted $550 flat fee and only was asking for $300 of that fee up front to start working on it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 08:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by love-javier
    My ex boyfriend and i had a child two years ago and he has never been a part of his life. His name is not on his birh certificat or anything. What is the next step for him to give up his parental rights to my son can be adopted by my soon to be husband? does he just go to the cour house? or do I send him papers or what?
    You've posted this before - got the same answers.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 29, 2008, 09:04 AM
    Mod note: 3 questions merged.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Single Mother's father of her son wants to sign his rights away [ 1 Answers ]

I am a single mother of a 11 month old and I have been trying to get the father of my son to be involved in his sons life I have not asked for money but I did recently go through the attorney general and he requested the paternity testing and of course he showed to be the father which he just was...

Retro Pay of Child Support when son is adopted [ 5 Answers ]

Hi! Just wanted to find out if and how I can get my son's biological father for retro Child Support. My husband adopted my son in 2003. The biological father is not on the birth certificate nor has he been an active role in my son's life. I understand that I must establish paternity first,...

How do we go abut getting our son legally adopted by my spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is chrstina and I am married to a man who would like to adopt my son and we would like to know hoe it is that we should go about that

How do I give up my rights for my adopted child [ 4 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend and I adopted a child two years ago and since that time she has refused to let me see the child. I have went to court and gotten a court order but she has refused to follow it. She has know accused me of using drugs among other things. She lies consistently. She has taken me to...

Child support for adopted son [ 3 Answers ]

I adopted a son about 4 years ago when I was married shortly after that me and my wife divorce and now I am stuck with paying child support for a none biological son. Is there anything in the law to prevent me from paying child suppor for a adopted son? Also the son that we adopted was my wife's...

View more questions Search