Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1296dadio Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Audio sound distortion
    Using Windows Media Player, all voices sound high pitched (like Pinky & Perky) and echoey as if talking down a hollow tube. Used to be OK, don't know why the sound is now corrupted. Any ideas ?
    charliec Posts: 61, Reputation: 6

Feb 14, 2008, 05:02 PM
    Most sound cards come with a program that can adjust your sound settings.

One feature of these programs is to simulate an environment like a concert hall ,padded room , quarry , under water and so on. My sound card is basic and has 20 or so of these effects.

Maybe you have one of these effects turned on on your sound card.

To Check if this is the case go to your control panel (I'm assuming you have windows xp , if not let me know)
    Click START then click CONTROL PANEL
    Here you will see lots of Icons ( called 'applets') like 'add hardware ' 'mouse' 'internet options' and so on.
    One of these applets will be the one for your soundcard.

You will have one applet called 'sound and audio devices'(this in not the one you are looking for now) but most sound cards also have their own one. On my system it is called 'sound effect manager'

When you find the applet for your sound card double click it and look for a tab called 'sound effect' or 'environment' and set it to 'none' or 'generic'.

Then back out and try playing a sound file again.

Let me know how you get on.
    Rgds
    Charlie

Feb 15, 2008, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by charliec
    Most sound cards come with a program that can adjust your sound settings.

One feature of these programs is to simulate an environment like a concert hall ,padded room , quarry , under water and so on. My sound card is basic and has 20 or so of these effects.

Maybe you have one of these effects turned on on your sound card.

To Check if this is the case go to your control panel (I'm assuming you have windows xp , if not let me know)
    click START then click CONTROL PANEL
    Here you will see lots of Icons ( called 'applets') like 'add hardware ' 'mouse' 'internet options' and so on.
    One of these applets will be the one for your soundcard.

You will have one applet called 'sound and audio devices'(this in not the one you are looking for now) but most sound cards also have their own one. On my system it is called 'sound effect manager'

When you find the applet for your sound card double click it and look for a tab called 'sound effect' or 'environment' and set it to 'none' or 'generic'.

Then back out and try playing a sound file again.

Let me know how you get on.
    Rgds
    Charlie
    My sound card program is called "Realtek HD Audio Manager", and similarly has 23 "Environment" options, and also 12 "Equaliser pre-sets". Regretably I have been there and done that a while ago, to no avail. The Environment is set to "None". In fact the only way I can get a half decent sound from my music tracks is using the "Pop" equaliser setting.

Many thanks for your suggestion, but it looks like it's back to the drawing board for now.

Cheers,
    Dave
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 15, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Your sound card might be going out

Feb 15, 2008, 03:53 PM
    Try using a different media player just to rule it out , download VLC , which ia a free media player (It's my default player).
    Rgds
    C

Feb 16, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Try using a different media player just to rule it out , download VLC , which ia a free media player (It's my default player).
    Rgds
    C
    Hi Charlie
    I have downloaded the VLC Media Player as suggested, but I'm afraid that voices and music still sound just the same as when using Windows Media Player.

Does this mean then that the sound card is probably "on the way out" ?

Regards
    Dave
    interinfinity Posts: 142, Reputation: 8

Feb 16, 2008, 12:16 PM
    This is my suggestion of what I would do. Uninstall the audio card. Do this by going to the hardware manager and uninstall it. Then reinstall it, and make sure that you have the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturers website. You can try DriverGuide.com (printer drivers, cdrom drivers, modem drivers, sound drivers, mouse drivers, monitor drivers, etc.) - DriverGuide.com but I'm not sure if that site is as good as it used to be a few years ago. Then reinstall the audio device through device manager. If this does not help, you should try removing the physical device and maybe use another spare card to see if its your system, or if it is your sound card. If the sound card is integrated into the motherboard then you might have some trouble, ruling out the problem. Oh, and don't rule out the speakers. Maybe your speakers are the problem, and the sound card is fine.

Feb 17, 2008, 01:16 PM
    I agree with interinfinity, try uninstalling and reinstalling with the latest drivers.

If the sound card is integrated into the motherboard you can still install a PCI sound card (either a spare one from another system or buy a cheap one for $15) and disable the onboard sound in the cmos setup program
    , if your cmos does not have this option change it anyway.

C.

Feb 19, 2008, 10:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by interinfinity
    this is my suggestion of what i would do. Uninstall the audio card. do this by going to the hardware manager and uninstall it. then reinstall it, and make sure that you have the latest version of the drivers from the manufacturers website. you can try DriverGuide.com (printer drivers, cdrom drivers, modem drivers, sound drivers, mouse drivers, monitor drivers, etc.) - DriverGuide.com but im not sure if that site is as good as it used to be a few years ago. then reinstall the audio device through device manager. if this does not help, you should try removing the physical device and maybe use another spare card to see if its your system, or if it is your sound card. if the sound card is integrated into the motherboard then you might have some trouble, ruling out the problem. oh, and dont rule out the speakers. maybe your speakers are the problem, and the sound card is fine.
    Sorry for the delay in trying your suggestion, I had family staying over the weekend.

Having un-installed and re-installed the card, everything went back to normal. You have made an old man(68) from across the 'pond' very happy. Much appreciated. They say you are never too old to learn, and I have just learnt something new there.

Feb 19, 2008, 10:37 AM
    I agree with interinfinity, try uninstalling and reinstalling with the latest drivers.

If the sound card is integrated into the motherboard you can still install a PCI sound card (either a spare one from another system or buy a cheap one for $15) and disable the onboard sound in the cmos setup program
    , if your cmos does not have this option go ahead and change it anyway.

C.
    With both Interinfinity and yourself agreeing with the way forward, how could I go wrong. It worked a treat. Great stuff. Thanks a lot.

I live just north of London, England, and until I retired in 1998 worked for an American company called Black & Veatch from Kansas, in their Middlesex office. I was Data Processing Manager responsible for running the Unisys Mainframe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Multimedia audio controller - no sound [ 5 Answers ]

I'm 14 so I don't know much about my computer besides it's custom made. I redownloaded Windows XP (XP Service pack 2) and now have no sound. I checked devices and found multimedia audio controller had a yellow triangle with an excitement mark inside it. I attempted to reinstall drivers but all I...

Audio floor speaker distortion [ 1 Answers ]

I recently moved and had to re-set up my home theater system and speakers. My speakers sound terrible now because they don't have a crisp sound to them and are "fuzzy" sounding at times especially on songs with more bass. I went and bought new speaker wire, shortened the length of the wires, made...

No sound (multimedia audio controller not working) [ 1 Answers ]

I have been on the dell sight and some of the drivers won't even work.. I have a Dimension E510.. Im really at a loss.. I don't even know what I have to do from here on.. If you could help me it'd be greatly appriciated The worst part is there is something called multimedia audio controller...

My Sound Audio Device [ 1 Answers ]

I think I may have mistakenly deleted the audio device from my PC. I am running on WinXP and haven't got a clue how to reinstall my audio device. I have no sound at all and the computor is telling me that the audio device/driver is not installed when only 2 weeks ago it was working fine.

Audio distortion [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, When downloading mp3's I convert to .wav .Then using Nero latest ver. Burn to cd, there is peak distortion even though trk volume is medium.This is getting very annoying as tracks play clean as mp3. Soundblaster live, Win2K pro, P II 266 Please help?

View more questions Search