Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    betsybk1956 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:52 AM
    CAN I FILE Tax credit ON SSI? Supplemental Security Income
    Hello!

I have lived on my SSI Disability check for 7 years now.
    (Supplemental Security Income)

I have tried to find answers to a couple of questions without any luck.

I would like to file for the Low Income Credit. Can I file for that particular credit?

Can I even file income taxes yearly?

I have always wondered if I could get an Earned Income Credit for my child, too?

I do have to pay my property taxes annually where I live. It seems that I would qualify for the low income credit?

If anyone has any answers or advice - please let me know. I have tried to research it extensively online, but I my vision is very poor & I am bedridden so being online at a desktop is too painful.

If you need to know - I live in the state of Georgia.

I appreciate any help!

THANKS SO MUCH!

BBK

[/B]
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 11:26 AM
    The Low Income Credit is the Georgia-equivalent of the EIC. You must have EARNED income to claim it.

If the SSDI is you ONLY source of income, you are NOT eligible for the Earned Income Credit, nor do you even have to file a tax return.

To getthe Earned Income Credit, you must have EARNED INCOME.
    misslady180 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 11:26 AM
    I live in florda do the same go's for me I've been working 2 jobs for the last 2 months both seasonly just got layde off by one..
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Well, if you have some earned income, you will qualify for the GA Low Income Credit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to file Income Tax on S.S. Income? [ 5 Answers ]

Regarding filing Income Taxes (over age of 70), on Social Security Income? Is there an amount of Social Security Received for the year that dictates whether I have to file Income Taxes on "only Social Security" only income earned in 2007, or any other year?:rolleyes:

Social Security, Medicare supplemental tax rate [ 3 Answers ]

I received a supplemental increase to my paycheck to cover some expenses that I incurred. I have a couple questions. From what I understand, the federal rate is 25% for supplemental amounts. Is this in any way augment-able upon filing based upon dependents? And what part of my 1040 does it go...

US Income Tax / Social Security [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, We are French, I have a L1 Visa and my wife a L2 Visa. We arrived to United States on November, 08, 2006 and I must file a tax return because of my income between the 11/08/2006 and 12/31/2006. For information my wife didn't work and doesn't have SSN. I went to the IRS web...

How to file tax on paypal income. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a small website and I earned about 1000 USD. What form should I use to file tax for that income. All my income was earned using PAYPAL. Also, if I am on H1b can I legally run a website with ad-revenue? Please help. Thanks. Ankan

Income Tax on Social Security & Interest Income [ 1 Answers ]

I collect SS, withdraw interest income monthly and sell real estate. I am wondering since my interest income & real estate commissions exceed the SS allowable income cap of $12,000 will my SS for the next year be reduced? Will my real estate expenses be deductible from taxes owed on my...

View more questions Search