Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nikki12884 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:18 AM
    What is the process in giving up your rights to a child?
    I was wondering what me and my sons father need to do in order to ELMINATE his rights to our son. He doesn't want to see him anymore and I want to make sure he stays away so I will have all the rights as a mother. What do we need to do in order to get this in effect, right now he is paying child support, will that change? Im desperate help?

Feb 13, 2008, 12:24 AM
    How to sign away parental rights to a child
    What is the legal process I need to do in order for my sons birth father to sign his rights over and still pay child support?
    Poliwog2400 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 12:32 AM
    Why do you want him to sign his rights away but still pay child support?

Feb 13, 2008, 12:33 AM
    Mother with custody will file to have the rights taken away because he deserted the k
    Mother with custody will file to have the rights taken away because he deserted the kids,
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikki12884
    mother with custody will file to have the rights taken away because he deserted the kids,

What is the question?
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 06:49 AM
    what is the legal process i need to do in order for my sons birth father to sign his rights over and still pay child support?

What do you mean by sign his rights over? Are talking about custody, visitation?

Anything like this has to go through your local Family Court - and I very much doubt the Court will allow him to simply relinquish his rights.

If you are attempting to have him "sign away" his rights to the child why would he still pay support?
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 06:52 AM
    I was wondering what me and my sons father need to do in order to ELMINATE his rights to our son. he doesnt want to see him anymore and i want to make sure he stays away so i will have all the rights as a mother. what do we need to do in order to get this in effect, right now he is paying child support, will that change? Im desperate help?

Nikki, you've posted this 3 times in 3 different ways, all in the same thread.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 13, 2008, 06:53 AM
    >THREE Threads Merged<
    Please don't spam post.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 07:04 AM
    Unless there is someone willing to adopt the child, parental rights cannot be signed over.

Why do you think you don't have "all the rights as the mother" now??

If you had a spouse to adopt the child, then the bio father could relinquish his rights to allow for the adoption... and child support would stop.

Sounds like the father isn't exercising his rights anyway... so why worry about it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2008, 07:05 AM
    Instead of posting the same question in multiple places, if you spent some time reading previous threads on the same issue you would have already had your answer. Bottomline is the courts are very reluctant to terminate parental rights. Generally they will only do so, if there is someone waiting to adopt the child or the parent represents a danger to the child. Even if the father were to agree to relinquish the courts are not likely to grant it, especially if its only to get out of paying support. What you SHOULD be doing is filing for FULL Custody, maybe eliminating visitation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support / giving up rights? [ 4 Answers ]

I am 22 years old, I have a 5 year old daughter, she is raised very well, by myself and my parents. I filed for child support when she was born and never received anything. Now I just want to end everything I started. I don't care about money and I certainly don't need it. I have come a very long...

Giving Up Rights and Child Support [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriends ex-girlfriend is pregnant and she's saying that its his. He believes that it is his. He wants to give up his rights but does not know what the law is in North Dakota. Would he still have to pay child support. We have both heard that he would but have not had any valid sources. I also...

Child support/giving up my rights [ 8 Answers ]

I have 2 kids with my ex. I have been paying $400.00 for child support monthly, but I don't have contact with the kids.I was wondering if there is any way I can sign over my rights. I tried talking her into it , but she won't because she wants the child support money. I have moved on with my life....

Giving up rights to a child [ 3 Answers ]

:D when a father gives up his rights, does he still have to pay child support? Is that the law in Illinois?

View more questions Search