Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2008, 06:36 PM
    raised countertop height
    I am building a "pony wall" to have base cabinets butt up against. On the top of this pony wall I intend to have a raised countertop section. The wall will be constructed using 2x4's and both sides will be drywalled. I will use 3 corbels in this install of the raised countertop.

Question is this, How high is the average raised bar section in this application? I was thinking of having the pony wall 41 and 1/2 so that finished height would be 43". The finished height of the lower countertop will be at 36"

Also, how much should I overhang the raised bar section? I was thinking of around 12".

Thanks for all the help.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Feb 13, 2008, 10:35 AM
    42" is the typical bar height. Overhang depends on if you will have seating there or not, 12" - 18" legroom is nice if you will have barstools, less if it is just a walkway. On the cabinet side the overhang can be minimal.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 13, 2008, 07:38 PM
    42 or 43 will be fine, id lean more to 42 myself, as for the over hang 12 to 14 is good, be sure to install the corbels first before the countertop. It makes things much easier if you do.

The corbels will have screws slots to use, but they have to slip from the top down.
    luqui80 Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 10:01 PM
    I'll be building the same thing but we are using either Corian or Quartz countertop. Any difference on how to build the wall? I feel like building it from 2X4's will not be enough support. I will not be using corbels
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Apr 12, 2008, 06:32 PM
    building it out of 2x4 is normal. You can build it out of 2x6 I found it easier to make it stand up level easier

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raised liver enzymes [ 2 Answers ]

My last bloods showed a ggt of 170 and an alp of 240,is this bile duct damage from whipples surgery 10 years ago.If so will it get worse and cause liver damage.

Raised Toilet in Basement [ 2 Answers ]

The previous homeowners installed a basement bathroom. Rather than digging in cement they built a platform for the toilet to sit on. It's literally a throne! :D I want to remove the platform and install the toilet, as well as a standup shower, at the ground level. There is cement under the...

Drying in below a raised deck. [ 1 Answers ]

I am looking to dry in below a screened porch that is essentially deck a with a roof. I'd like a watertight, usable room below, and I 'd like to have an upgraded floor covering for the porch, like tile or stamped concrete. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Lease is being raised WAY TOO MUCH [ 20 Answers ]

My boyfriend has been living in his apartment complex in Texas for a year now.The people that had the complex when he got here were always helpful and very nice. Recently they got bought out by Harbor Groups. When my boyfriend asked the Manager for some help since they want to raise his rent by...

View more questions Search