Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    josephine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2003, 07:59 PM
    Can't open Outlook links-just installed router
    After putting a Linksys router on my LAN, I cannot open Outlook links on the PC which has the Linksys software installed. The other PC that does not have the Linksys software installed has no problem opening the Outlook links. Has anybody else had this problem - or can help me solve this? Thanks.
    elina Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2003, 10:22 PM
    Re: Can't open Outlook links-just installed router
    Josephine, hi, you mention the other computer works because you don't have the other PC hooked up to your LINKSYS router. Sounds like the router & OUTLOOK settings may have something to do with the problem. And OUTLOOK works in both pcs BEFORE you had installed the router, right?

It's difficult to gauge the problem without knowing more about your LAN setup. The problem can be from several things. Here are several things Iwould to ask 1st:

Are you sure you set up your router and configure the PC in question properly on your LAN?

Mmh.. I wonder.. I have no problem with OUTLOOK on my 7-computer DSL LAN, with switches and routers connected to my DSL modem..

I suggests you check your OUTLOOK settings and LAN connections, again. Check your POP and SMTP server names and ports settings, again, too. Maybe it's your firewall and/or any other softwares that may be blocking or conflicting with OUTLOOK.

Now, do you have DSL, CABLE MODEM, or other internet connections? Any one of these settings on your network can be the problem.

And how did you connect your pcs together? PCs to hubs, to router, to DSL/CABLE MODEMS (if it's broadband)? How you set up your network can be a problem, also. What about cross-over cable.. do you use that?

You already know POP is on port 110 and SMTP is on port 25. Check the OUTLOOK settings on the PC that's working and see if the PC that you're having trouble with can be set the same way.

Josephine please post again and if you could let me know more about how your LAN and pcs are setup, that would be great.. thankx :D

josephine Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
    Can't open Outlook links-just installed router
    I started noticing that I was also having trouble openning links within the Internet Explorer window.
    So I re-installed Ie6 and the update and now everything works OK. Thanks for your help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outlook Links not Working [ 12 Answers ]

For some reason I cannot open hyperlinks in Outlook. When I click on the link in a message in Outlook, nothing happens. If you know how to fix this or where I can go for help, I would appreciate your assistance!

I cannot find adware that is installed [ 4 Answers ]

I had to agree to some adware to download a program I wanted, believing that I could just uninstall it later as I have done before, but this time it is very well hidden. I have done everything I know but cannot find what is causing popup windows putting ads in my face. I have run AVG, I have run...

Links [ 3 Answers ]

My computer has stopped responding when I click on a link or on a "click here for further info". I can sometimes go to the linked website by copying the link to the address line. This is a recent development as I have always been able to use all links. I'm using Win98 second addition with MS...

Links open to blanks [ 12 Answers ]

I have links on my website which open PDF documents. Since last night when these are clicked only a blank screen opens. Request help. Arya.

View more questions Search