Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FURRETZ Posts: 8, Reputation: 0

Feb 12, 2008, 03:11 PM
    Wage Garnishment & bank levy.
    So I have a judgement... and my bank account has been levied... and a wage garnishment is in place, can they continue to levy my bank acount? I live in New Jersey... if that helps or matters... :confused:

Thanks so much!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2008, 04:08 PM
    As long as they have a judgement, yes they can until they are paid in full.

Feb 13, 2008, 07:50 AM
    Fr Chuck...
    Are you absolutely sure they can continue to levy my account even once the garnishment has begun? I'm sorry, but I keep hearing different things from different people...

Thanks for your help!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 07:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by FURRETZ
    Fr Chuck...
    Are you absolutely sure they can continue to levy my account even once the garnishment has begun? I'm sorry, but I keep hearing different things from different people...

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

Yes, he's absolutely sure and he's absolutely correct - who are the different people who keep telling you different things? Why did you post here if you aren't going to believe the experts?

Once again - instead of taking a survey of your friends and then questioning the answers, ask an Attorney!

Feb 15, 2008, 01:59 PM
    Hey Judy... You've been a GREAT HELP! It's so nice to see the faith you have in the replies given here regardless of how correct they may or may not be! You must be an awesome person and bless you for your wonderful words in my time of crisis and need! I am really happy to know that there is someone like you out there who is able to be as judgemental as you and still be able to be such a selfless person! May god bless and keep you...

Anyway, after speaking to an attorney regarding this matter... I have come to find that my bank account CAN NOT be levied against again if payments are being made on time and are not being missed. If however there is a problem and the agreed upon payments are not kept up with then they can come back and levy the funds again... in the state of New Jersey anyway...

Again, thanks for making this experience one to remember for me... so very pleasant and happy! I'll be sure to tell all my friends just how much this website really helped me and the level of ease it made me feel!

Just a suggestion... I could really have done without the sarcasm JUDY... I'm hopeful that you were able to read between the lines I wrote especially for you! I doubt you will because your head seems so far up your own... NEVERMIND and Thanks again for NOTHING, JUDY!!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2008, 06:27 PM
    You did not say, that you have a agreed to payment plan, if you have a written or verbal contract ( that they will honor) then they can not, but if they merely are coming after their money, they can both garnish pay, and attach bank accounts, this is done every day.

You did not give us all of the needed information, that you have a agreed to plan in place. IN most cases a garnishment is not an agreed to plan.

Your answers have been based on the info you supplied

Your given facts.
    1. they have a judgement,
    2. they are doing an attachment
    3 they are doing an garnishment

They are allowed to do all of those, unless you have a agreed to paymnet plan in place. So the answers given were correct with the information your supplied

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishment Update & Here we go again, bank levy this time [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all. First thanks for your help and advice on my last post, things just seem to look good, then wham, the bottom falls out. Our 1st court date was postponed as Peoples Bank could not produce documents for the judge showing we owed or had the account. That's because there are none as we've...

SSDI and Bank Levy, Garnishment, etc [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all about the Social Security being "untouchable" by levy or garnishment. I have heard that when the money comes from Social Security and hits your bank account it is "fair game" It is considered income. My questions are many and I am really worried that the CC co. will take action. ...

Bank levy & wage garnishment from a judgement [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: So it seems that a credit card debt from 1999 in the amount of $1800 caught up with me , now in the amount of $6000!! How can this happen? Once the bank account has been levied & the wage garnishment starts, do they release my money in the bank account though the creditor? Do I get...

Wage garnishment AND bank restraining order? [ 6 Answers ]

I've been having wages garnished for quite some time, but in addition, the company doing so is also dipping into my bank account and taking MORE money from there. Is this okay for them to do? It's making it quite difficult to make ends meet!

View more questions Search