Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    papete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 07:49 PM
    Paid here, not living here...
    Ok, my inquiry is the following.

I arrived to the US under a H1B visa in March 05, and worked here (paid by a US company in an US account) the whole year. In a couple of weeks I will be coming back to Europe (indefinitely), but for at least a year the US company will keep paying my salary in my US bank account and withholding the US taxes.

For the 05 taxes I'm pretty clear that I have to file as a resident Alien with a normal 1040 (correct me if I'm wrong). But for next year (06) I don't know what to do. Can I claim those taxes withholded back? If so, what is the procedure?

Thanks,

P
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 20, 2006, 08:18 PM
    Papete:

You will file Form 1040NR. If you are paying taxes to other countries, you can claim a credit against the U.S. taxes, or you can claim a credit against the other country's taxes for U.S. taxes paid.
    papete Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot expert!
    Now my doubt is: given that I'm going to be a resident in a foreign country, shouldn't my US payer NOT withhold any taxes from my payroll? Should I sumbit a W-8BEN?

Thanks again,

P
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 07:05 PM
    Papete:

Since you are being paid by a U.S. employer into a U.S. account, the IRS does NOT consider you to be in a foreign country.

You can file the W-8BEN, but I cannot predict what the RS response would be.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did'nt Get What We Paid For. [ 10 Answers ]

We ordered a custom built Trailer (01/17/06), after a longer wait than promised the Trailer arrived only to find some options missing and the hitch weight to be Lbs600 more than advertised, so they came and picked it up to get fixed, when it came back it's still missing some options and the hitch...

Getting paid! [ 6 Answers ]

Hey, I have a simple question. I had to go to court (long story) and won about $3000 but that was a few years ago. Of course I have not seen any of it... what can I do? I don't know how to go about garnishing wages, and have since moved to a new state... any thought?

Employer paid too much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about vested interests. My former employer paid me 100% of the vested interest in my 401K instead of 40%. I was unaware of this at the time and I am still not sure it is in fact true as the dollar amount they say they paid me does not match my records. I just received a letter...

Un-paid salary [ 2 Answers ]

I worked as a sales rep for a physical therapy center (for a short period, two weeks and 2 days) before I quite. I did not trust the owner/president of This small company and the work environ became totally negetive, and besides, I did not want to become too much in hock to him lest I get burned....

View more questions Search