Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    priscilla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 07:26 PM
    Cat aggression. Help!
    Hi, I have a 3 yr old female cat. She is fixed and fully declawed. She is an indoor cat. She used to be very friendly and loved to cuddle, actually, she still is and does but less. However, these past 2 months just for a week or 2 out of the month she attacks me. It's really strange because she does not do it to my husband, unless she is already pissed off. This is a typical scenario on how it goes down. I am petting her and all of a sudden she'll look at me like she does not recognize me, start growling, hissing and swatting at me. Or I might be playing with her, I throw bouncing balls and she chases them, she is happily playing and again, all of a sudden she'll look at me like I am a stranger or a threat and she'll attack me. She is not playing. Also, when she is in this defense/attack mode she gives off this strong smell. It scares me sometimes, but it also saddenes me because she is my baby and I do not know what is wrong. My husband said it must be my hormones, because it coincides with 2 weeks prior my period but, I had her for 3 years and is just now she is acting that way. Any ideas? Should I bring her to the vet?
    mrs.pennell Posts: 132, Reputation: 21

Jan 22, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Any change in personality of your pet that does not appear to have a direct cause such as the introduction of another pet, or bringing home a baby is often an indication of illness. You should bring your kitty to the vet to rule out any medical problem. Good luck!
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Jan 22, 2006, 08:07 PM
    See the vet
    I agree that seeing the vet and haing them check kitty is something you should definitely do.

If the vet clears kitty, then it may just be "growing pains". Many times cats lose themselves in play or comfort only to suddenly realize they are "vulnerable"... and then they react and need to get away to a safe place.
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

Jan 25, 2006, 07:01 AM
    It is possible that some ovarian tissue was left in the abdomen when she was spayed. When this happens, they can actually start having heat cycles again which can cause this sort of behavior.

I've seen this happen a few times. You might want to talk to your vet about the possibility. If they aren't willing to admit they might have missed some ovarian tissue or tell you it's not possible, go find another vet.

Another thought is that she might have a urinary infection or other painful infection. Having bloodwork and a urinalysis done is a simple way of ruling these problems out.

In rare cases, cats can have mental problems just as humans do. If it is merely behavioral, trying an herbal calmative or Feliway Comfort Zone plug-in could help tremendously.

Also, make sure to upgrade her diet (mix 50/50 for first week) to something really healthy such as Iams Hairball or Hill's Nature's Best. Rule of thumb: The cheaper the food, the worse it is for your pet!!

I hope you find the problem and that it is easily fixable!

Regards,
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 25, 2006, 07:15 AM
    I agree with Koriani
    Just as with humans, we should listen and notice signs and symptoms and pinpoint the occasions and durations - this goes for our animals as well.
    So, the golden rule is - when in doubt, see the doctor or the vet!

Consider keeping the Veterinary Emergency phone number close to where you have the emergency numbers for all other occasions so that when this happens again, you can take your kitty in - this will help identify the symptoms while they happen and will make a diagnosis easier.

Good Luck!

We only have this one body in this life.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search