Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 10:17 AM
    Blu-Ray vs hd-dvd
    Didn't know where to post this, there is nothing under computers and tech for other tech.

Does anyone else feel like the hd-dvd commercials during the superbowl and the price drop on the hd-dvd players was one last desperate attempt to get a market share in the high def movie market?

I mean they cancelled their events at CES in Las Vegas and recently Warner has dropped their format, Blockbuster, Netflix and now Best Buy will no longer stock HD-DVD so it's looking pretty bad for them
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
    There was an article about this in today's paper. The studios like Blu-ray because its more secure, But HD has more features at this point.

The thing is I don't think enough people care. With current digital sets, standard DVD disk provide a great viewing experience so the extra cost of either Blu-Ray or HD is only worth it to dedicated videophiles.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 10:29 AM
    Depending what you have, at 1080p I was impressed how much better the picture looked on an hd movie.

Also I think the studios are going for blu-ray due to the size, it's a 25 GB disc (with a theoretical maximum of a 4 layer 100 GB disc) while an hd-dvd is 15 GB
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2008, 01:23 PM
    Wow, what a difference a week makes. In the past 48 hours, for anyone who didn't know on February 15 Wal-MArt joined other stores in saying they won't stop HD-DVD anymore and then near the end on the day a VP at Toshiba USA let is slip that there would be "an announcement" in the next month that would "affect the future of HD-DVD". Then last night, February 16 a senior person at Toshiba Japan said this announcement would come this week.

Also last night production of HD-DVD players and recorders was stopped and so it is now almost certain this announcement will be that production is stopped for good and that HD-DVD will be withdrawn.

So please, for all that is holy, don't buy the $129.00 HD-DVD players anymore, they will literally be obsolete this week.

PC World - Toshiba Halts HD DVD Production, Mulls Future

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blue Ray or HD DVD [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: Who's going to win?? Who has more movies available? Who has better quality? Who is cheaper? excon

Highlighting over Blu/Black Dye [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all I want to dye my hair blu/black and I want to also bleach sum highligts over it will this work and if so how do I got about having it done I'm a bit of a rock chick and love looking different and the hairdressers neva seem to do what I want so I'm going to do it myself... anyone have any...

Q-Ray bracelet ? [ 1 Answers ]

Has anyone tried one of these ionic bracelets? My neighbor says they really work. Any opinions?

View more questions Search