Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Breast milk supply
    My son is 7 weeks old, and I'm starting to have issues with my milk supply. I feed pretty much on demand exclusively from the breast. I may give a bottle once in a while but only if necessary. I am concerned because I start back to work, tonight, and while I will be pumping with a good Medela pump, I seem to only be able to get out a couple ounces at a time... 1 from each side, where I was getting close to 3 on each side.. I have also noticed my baby getting more fussy at night and acting like he is not getting milk. My doc told me there were medicines out there to help, but are there other ways to trry and keep up suplpy. Could there be something I'm not eating or drinking that could help? MY son is slightly tongue tied and Im wondering if this could be part of it, but with also using a pump, I'm not sure... with my first pregnancy I completely stopped producing a little short of 6 weeks, I am not ready to stop with this one.. if you have any suggestions I would really appreciate it. Thanks
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Al are you still drinking enough? My milk dried up about two weeks ago and it was my own fault for not eating and drinking plenty.
    All I can tell you is what the hospital told me keep up the intae of food and drink and pump between feeds to encourage the milk supply more.
    Don't give up on yourself you could try the local health food shop there are supliments you can try too.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Did you get yours back? I probably don't drink enough. Im not a big water person. I will try that.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 03:04 AM
    I did yeah but breast feeding was really killing me off as he was on me constantly and I just couldn't keep up with him or look after millie and I wasn't willing to let her suffer her life had already changed so much so I've swapped to bottles, just drink more it does come back but I'm talking lots and lots more lol
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Feb 13, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Drink lots of fluid! You can take fenugreek. Most women take 3 pills 3 times a day. I was very dehydrated and sick right after delivery, and for the following month. These allowed me to breastfeed for 7 weeks. You can also take Mother's Milk tea and eating oatmeal will also help naturally increase your supply. I was told to try to eat 3 packets of oatmeal a day. Make sure you are snacking on healthy food frequently. You need about 500 more calories per day to maintain milk. Also, you won't get as much by pumping as your son will get. Him being tongue tied will have an effect on how well he can suckle. If you really want to increase your supply pump or feed every hour and a half. One really good way to increase is to do a nurse in. It's basically a weekend of you and baby in bed doing nothing but nursing, eating, and sleeping all weekend. For some other fantastic breastfeeding answers, the best website I have found is

kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Thanks gals. I practically nurse in every day as it is I stay at home with the kids during the day and work at night. I pump for the time I'm away (only 2 feedings) I managed to get 6 ounces out last night during 2 pumping sessions at work, so that was good.. Ill try the oatmeal and I've increased my fluids, we'll see if it works. Im pretty funny about pills, so Ill save that for last. Thanks for the help both of you! :)
    CMM_Kaleido Posts: 77, Reputation: 8

Feb 13, 2008, 10:55 PM
    Is your son gaining weight well? If he is gaining well he is getting enough to eat.

You mentioned a bottle so I wasn't sure if you were supplementing with formula or pumped milk. Try not to supplement with formula. That will make him nurse less and cut your supply.

If you want local help try to find a lactation consultant. I believe most hospitals have one. Some even have baby weigh stations where you can bring you child every week after giving birth and have him weighed and get answers for some of your nursing concerns. This place was invaluable for the first six weeks of nursing my first son.

In the first few weeks my son was getting two ounces at a feeding (both sides) and that was just fine. At the baby weigh station they actually weighed him before nursing, let me nurse him in a room and then weighed him again to see how much had "transferred". This went a long way to alleviating my worries because he nursed for an hour every two hours so I was sure something was wrong.

The rule of thumb for liquid is an 8 oz glass every time you nurse (or pump).

Another great resource (and there may be a group near you) is the LaLeche League. You can email them and they will send you very helpful and informative answers.

LLLUSA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breast milk [ 1 Answers ]

I have a three year old child and the breast milk never dried up, I am able to squeeze only one of my nipples and a green substance comes out why is this?

Breast Milk [ 26 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me? I'm 30 and have never been pregnant, I stopped taking my pill in March this year. The first day of my last period was 16 days ago, for the last week I have had incredile soreness and tenderness in my breasts and they have started leaking what seems to be a...

Tanning and breast milk [ 1 Answers ]

Will laying in a tanning bed effect breast milk?

Saving breast milk [ 8 Answers ]

Is it possible to save breast milk after it has been given in a bottle feeding? Sometimes my granddaughter leaves an ounce or two in the bottle and I hate to throw it away. Must I?

Got Breast Milk? [ 2 Answers ]

This is a little embarrassing. My boobies are feeling heavy and swoll up. Im also leaking fluid from them. There is no way that I am pregnant because I have not been sexually active in 3 years. My children are both also 5 and 6 years old. Is this my body trying to tell me something? Maybe Im...

View more questions Search