Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ItsOnlyMe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:05 PM
    Can I create records with OLE objects in Access & append to a linked SQLServer table?
    There's a table in our SQL Server Database that stores various notes. There are text fields for the type of notation ( i.e. C = Customer, V=Vendor notes etc) and one for the "Owner_ID" (ie the Customer ID or Vendor ID). There's a date field for the create date of the note and the notes themselves are stored as binary data which appears as OLE object in Access.

Our sales manager wants to append special pricing notes to a group of customers. There are almost 400 customers and doing this one by one will be mega time consuming. I have copied the structure of the table into Access and have no problem inserting all the necessary fields but I don't know how to insert the pricing text as an OLE object or as binary data.

I can pull readable information out of the note field using a StrConv function in Access but I don't know how to convert my pricing text to binary or OLE and use an Append Query.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? Either using an Access function or by supplying SQL code ?

Thanks,
    me
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Mar 11, 2008, 09:06 PM
    In SQL Server, you can create a Table View that filters only the records that you want to edit. This will make it safer than having all of the records shown. Then use something like MS Access to connect to your SQL Server View with an ODBC linked table.

You can then edit the content (permissions allowing) of your data using your additional code with Access.

If you want some quick reference with SQL Queries, then create a like query in MS Access using the wizards and select the SQL View of your Query. It will not be exactly the same as you would use in SQL Server but it is pretty close. Enough so that you will understand the syntax.

A basic SQL Server query would be something like:

USE database_name

SELECT * FROM table_name
    WHERE column_name = 'value'
    ORDER BY column_name

GO
    ItsOnlyMe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2008, 04:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckhole
    In SQL Server, you can create a Table View that filters only the records that you want to edit. This will make it safer than having all of the records shown. Then use something like MS Access to connect to your SQL Server View with an ODBC linked table.

You can then edit the content (permissions allowing) of your data using your additional code with Access.
    Thanks for your reply. I am able to query the table and view the existing OLE Note object and edit them but I didn't want to have to edit 400 or so records individually. I was hoping to be able to create a table in Access (or perhaps in Excel to link or import) and then append the records to the SQL Server table.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Create Emails from ACCESS [ 1 Answers ]

How do your create emails from within ACCESS? The email address is in an ACCESS table and the message is to be created within ACCESS

Access loads a bitmap into a OLE object as a package [ 2 Answers ]

My client has 3 aging Access 97 dbs that run the production floor of a large plastic manufacturing plant. These are in the process of being replaced by much more robust, professional grade manufacturing control systems. The client is investing millions in the new systems, so redesign at this point...

Bitmap into ole object field in MS Access [ 3 Answers ]

I have an Access 2000 database table with an OLE object field, into which I insert a bitmap image. (This is an existing database whose design I am not authorized to change). When I do this on the system in my office, everything is fine. The image is properly displayed on the form. However, when I...

Using access create database [ 3 Answers ]

To all. I'm need you all help, how to using Microsoft access create a database. Sample like I want record all the stock in my database and how to using Html interface link to the database. :(

View more questions Search