Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rckt321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 06:40 PM
    Cheaper to Not pay back my 401K loan?
    Here's the deal, about 3 months ago I took out a loan against my 401K account. I am paying it back at $100 per week and I currently owe $3000 on it. I can afford the $100 per week but it would come in handy to pay off other debts I am paying interest on. With the economy the way it is my 401k account is at a negative 12% rate of return right now so some of that money I am paying back is going into a black hole. I understand that if I don't pay back the loan it will be taxed as income and I will have to pay a 10% ($300) penalty, however at this point it seems that if I use that $100 a week to pay off 15% interest credit cards I would come out ahead. Is my thinking correct on this? Since the loan payment comes right out of my paycheck would an employer typically allow me to stop paying the loan and take it as a distribution?
    CliffARobinson Posts: 1,416, Reputation: 101
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2012, 03:37 PM
    The 401k's rules are set by your employer, and you signed a note when you got the loan.

From personal experience, the only options I had were to: (a) Pay in full; (b) Accelerate the amount; or (c) when employment was terminated, pay it back immediately, or default and get the balance (if any) sent to me and take the remaining loan amount as income and receive penalties.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Need loan to pay bills. [ 1 Answers ]

I have no credit at all my credit scores are so low no one that I have ask will give me a loan. I need to pay off old bills so at least I don't any money, does any one know a agency or company that will give me at least $4000 loan base on my steady job?

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

Liquidating 401k to pay back-tax debt? [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon. Long story short. I am trying to clean up my credit, and resolve back taxes with the IRS. The interest and fees now higher than my tax debt. I do have a tax attorney that is working with me and the IRS. I want to pay the IRS asap once I know the amount, about $12,000. ...

View more questions Search