Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kcchief88 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Map projection
    Which map projection has the least distortion mercator, lunar, goode, or, oblique
    rodandy12 Posts: 227, Reputation: 24

Feb 13, 2008, 07:23 AM
    A mercator is totally accurate at the equator and gets worse when moving toward the poles. The goode is a mercator with much of the inaccuracy left out. It looks like an orange would look if you just took the skin off and smashed it as flat as you could. The distortion comes from the part that wouldn't go flat. Oblique just means the observer point of view isn't along the equator or looking down from a pole.

I don't know what a lunar projection is. If I had to make a guess, it would be that a lunar projection is what the earth looks like from the moon. In this case, at the single point on the earth's surface nearest the moon, there is no distortion. As one moved away from that center point in any direction, there is more distortion. So, lunar would be the most distorted further away from the closest point.

If you are talking about a world map, then goode has less distortion than the mercator or the lunar. If you are talking about a map of some relatively small area, say the state of Rhode Island, then an oblique map centered over the center of the state with a mercator projection would have no distortion, say on an east/west line through the state and very little distortion out to the edges of the state north and south. A goode would theoretically have less distortion, but you wouldn't be able to discern that difference. A lunar projection might have less distortion N/S and more E/W. My guess is that it would average out to be about the same.

Look up "map projection" on Wiki for more info.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Astral projection [ 9 Answers ]

Why we feel vibrations during astral projection?

Projection Tv [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,this inquiry is about philips-magnavox rear projection TV (model#9P5511C1), I believe that you can clean the dust off the tubes to get a better picture,but I can not find any information on how to do this,there also is and oil in them that you can change,but right now I just want to find out...

Philips projection TV [ 4 Answers ]

I need help or information to help me fix my philips projection TV, the color is all messed up, the whites are too bright and the other colors are only purple and pink... :( :o Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for this? Thank you for any information..

View more questions Search