Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluesfire20 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 06:49 AM
    Lean on home
    A collection agency has threatened to put a lean on my home if I don't pay the $3,800 that they claim I owe. The original balance of the debt was $1,000. Is there a way I can get out of paying the larger amount and avoid going to court?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2006, 07:35 AM
    Ask them
    You can try to reach a settlement, get your debts reviewed by a debt company like CCC perhaps and see if they can work out a payment plan for you.

And so what if they place a lien on your home?? It would just remain there till the house is sold by you or when you die and the estate takes care of it.

Now what you have to worry about is what they have not told you, if they get a judgement, they normally don't ever place a lien on a home, they tell you what they believe will scare you the most, in your case it is the home.

They can get an garnishment of your wages, atttach your bank accounts and things like that, this is done most of the time.

Next don't ever, ever talk to them on the phone, even if they say yes they agree to some repayment, they will then say, no we never said that, they lie, all the time, tell you that you will go to jail, get your kids taken away, what ever they can say to scare you into paying.

Refuse to talk to them on the phone, in writing only, offer them a settlement if possible, or a payment plan.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 20, 2006, 09:43 AM
    Lien on home
    Fr Chuck is absolutely right.There are things this collection agency is not telling you, as was said wage garnishment or freezing bank accounts are their actions of choice since they can get more money faster after a judge finds in their favor.Any agreement has to be in writing for your protection and nothing can be done without going to court first,and unless you convince the judge they are in error they will get all kinds of interest and fees tack on the original debt.They can freeze your bank accounts without you knowing until you go try and get some money so protect your assets before this happens,see a credit counselor,but they charge you for their service.Good luck and post back!:cool:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home alone [ 3 Answers ]

Is there any laws in the state of Colorado as to how old a child needs to be to walk home from school and stay home alone for an hour or so before the parents come home from work?

Selling home/buying home simultaneously [ 8 Answers ]

Real estate agent and the mtg broker she works with want me to refinance loan with them, take equity out of it and buy a townhouse, move into townhouse while maintaining my mtg with my present home while trying to sell it. I called Wamu (my original lender) and questioned him about this and he...

New home [ 2 Answers ]

I'm about to move into a new home and would like advice about what I should do in terms of helpful hints Ex. Like the garage floor is bare concrete so I am thinking about painting it with that epoxy stuf that I got from the home depot to make it smother and look better and we are planing on...

Lean on home [ 1 Answers ]

A collection agency has threatened to put a lean on my home if I don't pay the $3,800 that they claim I owe. The original balance of the debt was $1,000. Is there a way I can get out of paying the larger amount and avoid going to court?

View more questions Search