Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kmsmith Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 06:19 AM
    Increasing foot speed
    Hi
    I have a 12 yr old who plays baseball and is very good except for foot speed.
    How do you increase the foot speed for a young person

Ty
    jeffatl Posts: 489, Reputation: 83

Jan 24, 2006, 11:20 PM
    Sup, I played baseball all my life as well (through college) so I might be able to help you out. I'm not too sure about 12 though because you still have a TON of growing to do. I will tell you some of the things I did when I played college ball to help my speed. Start jumping rope, once a day for about 30min easch time that REALLY helped me. Long sprints, and short sprints(long: about 50yards, short: about 20yards). BE CAREFUL doing these, make sure you STRETCH A lot BEFORE HAND!! What position do you play? That will help me be able to tell you better what you can work on as well. I played SS and worked a lot on my side to side foot work. If you play infield, do shuffles to both sides, stay on the balls of your feet and just more side to side (about the distance you would in your position). Also work on hand eye, reaction speed is a BIG help. Play A lot of hand eye games to work on this, or just shag a ton of HARD balls. I LOVE baseball, it's the onlt sport I ever really played. Let me know your position because there are 2 kinds of speed in baseball.
    speedbag Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kmsmith
    hi
    i have a 12 yr old who plays baseball and is very good except for foot speed.
    how do you increase the foot speed for a young person

ty
    Here are a few links to ideas that might help.

Speed & Agility training articles

Speed Training programs

foot speed & agility ideas

And a product:

Football foot speedster

Hope this helps you.
    999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2006, 06:36 AM
    Get him the air alert jump program its also good for foot speed
    Jimbob51 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2006, 06:44 AM
    Now this might sound funny, but once while I was attending a baseball workshop for baseball coaches at the University of Houston, Gene Coleman, Strength & Conditioning Coach for the Astros said that in order for players at ALL levels to run faster -- they should move their ARMS faster! He reasoned that our natural coordination between the way the arms and legs work together in running, if the hands and arms worked faster then naturally the legs would move faster also. Sounded reasonable to me at the time, yet I never included it in my workouts with the team that I was coaching at the time. Give it a try, you've got nothing to lose. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Difference between true air speed and equivalent air speed [ 4 Answers ]

What is the difference between the two and when an aircraft is flying at altitude what is its actual speed

Foot pain on side of foot [ 33 Answers ]

Was hoping someone could help. I have pain on the outside of my right foot. It is 1/2 way down the foot, it is tender to the touch and makes walking difficult.. Any ideas what it is? Thanks..

Increasing prices [ 5 Answers ]

I need to write a letter that talks about a price increase. Anyone got any suggestions for wording?:)

Increasing knowledge [ 5 Answers ]

Dear Sir / Madam, I would like to enhance my 6 year old daughter's overall knowledge. I send her to the best school in the area, but still I would like her to have more knowledge than she acquires from her school. What should I do? Please help me in this regard.

Injured foot... [ 0 Answers ]

I think I've possibly fractured my foot but I'm not 100% sure. As I was walking through my living room, my right baby toe got caught on a chair leg and was bent back. I just thought I had stubbed my toe, but I woke the next morning to a very swollen, bruised foot. The swelling and pain persisted...

View more questions Search