Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goofysk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Wireless Internet
    Hi, I have 2 PCs... one is desktop computer connected with high speed internet n other is laptop.. I want to use wireless internet on laptop through desktop computer. I have linksys wireless - G 2.4GHZ Access point. Is there anyway that I can use Access Point as a wireless router.. If yes then how?. reply me asap... Thanx
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2008, 10:32 AM
    You should run your internet cable to as near as you can to your computers --

Place the modem in the line -- then a router that is in line near your computer

I called Best Buy and they say you can use your Linksys Access Point to plug in

To your router -- For best results line of sight is recommended -- placing in another

Room may give poor reception...
    goofysk Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 10:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by goofysk
    Hi, I have 2 PCs... one is desktop computer connected with high speed internet n other is laptop.. I wanna use wireless internet on laptop through desktop computer. I have linksys wireless - G 2.4GHZ Access point. Is there anyway that I can use Access Point as a wireless router..If yes then how?... reply me asap...Thanx
    Thanks for reply biggsie.. I tried it.. but still it doesn't work.. don't u have another solution for this prob.
    chuckhole Posts: 850, Reputation: 45

Feb 14, 2008, 01:16 PM
    Your question was can you use your access point as a router. The answer is NO. As Biggsie stated, you must have a router. I would suggest getting a router with a 4-port switch built in. Connect your access point to one of the four ports and your desktop computer to the other.

In addition to the safer Internet security features, a router will also handle an important function called DHCP. This is what assigns each of your computers a unique IP address within your home network and also allows the sharing of a single Internet connection among more than one computer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a laptop and want to hook it up to wireless internet but I have never done that before and unsure as to how to do it. What do I need and what type of provider do I look for. I want it so that when I travel I can use it for my schooling Thank you, Sherry

Wireless internet connection? [ 2 Answers ]

How can I setup a wireless internet connection between my home computer and my Compaq Laptop? I have a linksys Wireless-B broadband router and my laptop was once connected to the linksys router wireless, But my laptop just shut off and then I had to get it fix, now when I try to connect it...

Wireless internet [ 3 Answers ]

My computer just says acquiring network address when I try to connect to my router but it never connects. What should I do? It has connected before.

Wireless Connection OK, Internet Not - Why? [ 5 Answers ]

My laptop is connecting to my linksys router at home and at work, but cannot access the internet. I'm sure it's a simple setting that's incorrect. I don't remember making any changes, though. Help!

Wireless Internet [ 4 Answers ]

I work from home and use a laptop. I would like to be more mobile. Wireless internet has been suggested to me, but I cannot figure out where I would begin to find a provider. Would someone like AOL offer the service? I was told Verizon, but I have looked all over their site and cannot find...

View more questions Search