Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 11:03 PM
    2000 Ford Taurus Front (Quik) Strut Replacement
    How-to Replace Front Quick Struts on Most Ford Tauruses

Strut sale promotions tend to be in April and October.

Removal:

1. Loosen lug nuts, raise vehicle, and support securely on jack stands, placed under the sub frame. Remove front wheel.

2. Loosen, but do not remove, three upper strut mounting nuts (13 mm).

3. Remove ABS speed sensor wiring guide clip and brake hose bracket from strut.

4. Disconnect stabilizer bar link nut (18 mm) from strut.

5. Remove steering knuckle:

a. Remove brake caliper (12 mm), pads, caliper mounting bracket (15 mm), and disc. Support caliper with a piece of wire.

b. Detach outer tie-rod end from steering knuckle, by removing and discarding cotter pin, loosening nut (18 mm) on tie-rod ball stud, and separating tie-rod end from steering knuckle with a puller.

c. Remove ABS wheel speed sensor mounting bolt (Torx E8), then move sensor out of the way.

d. Disconnect control arm from steering knuckle, by removing ball joint nut (21 mm) and using a puller or ball joint separator to separate ball joint.

e. Remove front control arm mounting nut and bolt, remove rear mounting nut and bolt, and remove control arm. TRICK: Instead of removing the control arm, drop the subframe 2" by placing jack stands under the rocker panels and an hydraulic jack under the subframe. Remove air dam, remove front and rear subframe bolts (18 mm), screw bolts in 3 turns, and lower jack just enough to remove strut. Keep the hydraulic jack under the subframe, to keep the load off the subframe bolts.

f. Suspend axle with a piece of wire. Don't let it hang free, because this can overextend and damage inner CV joint.

g. Mark relationship of strut to steering knuckle, which will simplify assembly.

h. Remove strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt (21 mm).

I. Wiggle knuckle and hub assembly off the strut. Tap assembly off strut with a brass hammer, if necessary.

6. Support strut and remove three upper strut mounting nuts.

7. Guide strut and spring assembly out of wheel well.

Installation:

1. Install strut, with studs extending up through the shock tower, and loosely tighten nuts.

2. Install steering knuckle:

a. Install knuckle and hub assembly onto end of strut, aligning blade on the strut with pinch joint in the knuckle. Align index mark made in Step 5g.

b. Install strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt (21 mm), but do not tighten at this time.

c. Install control arm.

d. Pull down on control arm and insert ball joint stud into steering knuckle. Install ball joint nut (21 mm) and tighten 50 to 67 lb.-ft.

e. Tighten strut-to-steering knuckle pinch bolt (21 mm) 84 lb.-ft. If you lowered the subframe, raise it with the hydraulic jack and tighten both subframe bolts 66 lb.-ft.

f. Attach tie-rod end to the steering knuckle arm. Tighten nut (18 mm) 35 lb.-ft.; then, align the next castellation in the nut with the cotter in hole by further tightening.

h. Install disc, caliper mounting bracket, pads, and caliper. Tighten caliper mounting bracket bolts (15 mm) 65 to 87 lb.-ft. and tighten caliper bolts (12 mm) 25 lb.-ft.

3. Attach stabilizer bar link to strut and tighten nut (18 mm) 62 lb.-ft. Tighten stabilizer bar link nut (18 mm), going to the stabilizer bar, 42 lb.-ft.

4. Connect wiring clip and brake hose bracket to strut.

5. Tighten three upper strut mounting nuts (13 mm) 27 lb.-ft.

6. Install wheel and lug nuts. Lower vehicle and tighten lug nuts (19 mm) 90 lb.-ft. Pump brake pedal several times to seat brake.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 ford taurus spark plug replacement? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a ford Taurus 3.0L V6 and I scanned it for the problem and it says P0301 Cylinder 1 misfire, would someone help me to pleas locate cylinder 1?

Www.strut replacement 2003 ford taurus [ 1 Answers ]

How do I separate the bottom ball joint 2003 ford taurus

Ford Taurus 2000 transmission [ 3 Answers ]

I was driving my 2000 Ford Taurus when all of a sudden the car seemed to have shifted seamlessly into neutral as the car RPM just revved while the car began to coast into the breakdown lane. There was no noise. I towed it back to my house. When I shifted into any gear the car would just sit there....

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.