Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dagan22 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 07:55 PM
    401k loan
    I have credit card debt and 2 loans I wanted to pay the credit card debt down and one of the two loans off the one loan has a $5,000 balance and I want to borrow $9,000.00 against my 401k. I have a plan once I do this to pay the 401k loan off in half the time. I though this would save me a lot of interest on the credit cards and the loan. PLEASE ADVISE!
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 09:36 PM
    Tough call. Read this page and it REALLY outlines all the stuff you need to consider:

401khelpcenter.com - 401k Plan Loans and Withdrawals

For me, even though I'm a professional, I would get a job delivering pizzas for six months to pay that... leave the 401k and my professional finances alone.

And cut up the credit cards, of course. They are financial land mines. Debt is not a path to financial peace. Working harder and increasing income to pay for stuff, that's a plan. I used ths suggestion when my wife and I decided to get out of debt. We paid off $40,000 in two years and I'm sure you can accomplish the same thing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

Loan against 401K [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I found a property that I want to invest in, it's a foreclosure, I want to fix it up and maybe retire too it, I have a home with a small mortgage, and I have some savings for vacations and emergency's, I think the home I'm looking at might have to be paid in cash, $20,000. I have Est:...

401K loan [ 1 Answers ]

Can a 401K plan be used as collateral for a personal loan from a bank or other lending institution?

401k loan [ 1 Answers ]

I'm leaving the firm with 140m in my 401k plan. I want to move the funds into another 401k plan or IRA. I plan on buying a house soon, and would need to borrow from the plan. What will give me the most flexibilities as far as penalties and restrictions goes. Is it possible to move my funds to a...

View more questions Search