Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mccloud98 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 04:42 PM
    Strong, irritating smell in the kitchen
    At times I come home to my apartment to a strong smell in the kitchen. This has increased over time, but does not seem to happen every day. I associate this smell with that I've experienced in older motel rooms. I am sure it is the same thing, or something very similar. (The smell is the same.) It's been hard to isolate the location of the odor, but it seems to be coming from the cupboard beneath the sink where there are cleaners of various sorts stored. I've detected no water leaks. It seems the smell occurs more often when the AC hasn't been running for awhile--but not always. If anyone recognizes the reference I made to the old motel room, you know what I'm talking about. NOTE: I live in South Florida.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2008, 07:21 PM
    It is a musty moldy mildewey smell. I used to live in South Florida so I know the smell well. It seems that when you don't run the a/c it builds up. It is just that, mold and mildew. You will need to take everything out from under the sink and thoroughly clean the entire cabinet with a mildewcide to get rid of this motel smell. Also clean all of the bottles off before your put back under the sink. You might also want to leave the cabinet doors open for a few weeks to totally get rid of the smell.
    fixitmom Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2008, 08:20 PM
    If you have a garbage disposal it might be the cause. Try making vinegar and water ice cubes (I would make 2-3 trays). When frozen solid run through disposal with running water. The vinegar will get rid of the smell while the ice helps to keep the disposal blades sharp.
    starfirefly Posts: 397, Reputation: 33

Feb 11, 2008, 08:26 PM
    Check and empty the "p+ trap in you sink (turn off water first) there may be something stuck in it that won't go down(wear gloves and use a bucket lol)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Strong soap/sweet smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

Although I have read much information re: smelly sewer smells in bathrooms and how to correct, I haven't been able to figure out the source/solution for the very strong soapy/sweet detergent like smell in my master bedroom ensuite. My house is just two years old and we noticed this after living...

Strong mildew smell in shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have a strong mildew smell coming from the shower drain. This is a 2yr old Florida home built on a slab. I have used draino, bleach, and boiling hot water. The weather is great now so I am able to leave the windows and door open in the bathroom, even with this you can still smell mildew in the...

Strong smell of ramps in house [ 3 Answers ]

We have a very strong smell of ramps in our house. We have checked under house in the crawl space and there is nothing growing under the house. Was wondering if the smell could be coming from under the front porch of the house, no access from the crawl space, or from where could the smell be from?...

Strong urine smell (new house) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a new home that was built in 2002/2003. For the past year, there is a strong musty/urine smell in the guest bathroom. This bathroom is used regularly. It is also very clean. The only thing that I can figure is that it is right next to where the lift station is buried. Could this be...

View more questions Search