Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loupi01 Posts: 92, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 10:12 PM
    Bathroom lighting
    Hello,
    Can lights in a bathroom be on a general lighting circuit? I know a bathroom branch circuit can share receptacles with lights and other equipment only within the same bathroom. I want to put just the lights on a circuit shares with other lights in the house.

Thank you for your help...
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 19, 2006, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loupi01
    I know a bathroom branch circuit can share receptacles with lights and other equipment only within the same bathroom.
    BZZZZZT! Wrong answer. These days, most (if not all) codes require the bathroom receptacle to be on it's own circuit, and not the same circuit as the lights - even the ones in the same bathroom. Sorry!

As for the lighting, I've been in quite a few new houses recently where the bathroom lights were on a general lighting circuit. So unless if where you live there are some archaic codes that are different than here in the NY/NJ area, you should be okay.

Cheers,
    Moishe
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 04:07 AM
    The previous answer given is incorrect, and you are correct that if one 20 amp circuit feeds one bathroom, the lights in that bathroom, along with any other loads such as fans, etc. can be on that circuit, as per NEC 2002 Section 210.11(C)(3) Exception.

The bathroom receptacle circuit must not have any other loads if the circuit feeds additional bathrooms receptacles. If this is the case,then the bathroom lighting then can be connected to a general purpose lighting circuit, as you planned.
    PalmMP3 Posts: 321, Reputation: 28

Jan 20, 2006, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The previous answer given is incorrect, and you are correct that if one 20 amp circuit feeds one bathroom, the lights in that bathroom, along with any other loads such as fans, etc. can be on that circuit, as per NEC 2002 Section 210.11(C)(3) Exception.
    That's strange...

The source of my response was Wiring 1-2-3 (The Home Depot), First Edition, page 113:

BATHROOM SPECS: Any GFCI receptacle should be on its own circuit. Install the lights and fan on a separate 15- or 20-amp circuit.

I wonder where they got their misinformation from?

Anyway, sorry if I misled anyone at first. Thanks tkrussel for clearing that up.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Jan 20, 2006, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    The bathroom receptacle circuit must not have any other loads if the circuit feeds additional bathrooms receptacles. If this is the case,then the bathroom lighting then can be connected to a general purpose lighting circuit, as you planned.
    Many times bathrooms share a run. Often the master bath will be alone and the "main" bath sharing with the powder room downsatairs. Something that needs to be checked. I don't recommend the GFCI outlet and lights sharing a home run, if it is realistic.

Jan 20, 2006, 11:36 PM
    Thanks tkrussel,
    I wired the master bathroom with its own circuit supplying pwer to the GFI and a couple of lights.
    Other recess lights and fan/light units are on the general lighting circuit.

I had a rough electrical inspection today and passed.

Thanks again for your help.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 21, 2006, 05:50 PM
    It is always fun to be in the shower when the GFCI trips and takes out the lights. In Ohio I do not approve bath lights ETC on the same circuit as the GFCI unless they are tapped off before the device. That way the GFCI can trip but the lights stay on.

Jan 21, 2006, 11:07 PM
    I did not wire the lights to the GFI. You're right about it not being fun to have the lights go off if the GFI trips...
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Jan 23, 2006, 09:09 AM
    I'm confused
    I thought the lighting circuits in a bath had to be GFCI protected if the switches are near water, as they would be in a small bathroom.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2006, 10:44 AM
    OK I will try to be as clear as possible, we are dealing with the National Electric Code 2002 edition, and this can be a confusing document. Either the 2002 or the 2005 may be in effect where you are located, I only have the 2002 handy to refer to at the moment, there may be slight differences between them.

Assuming this a residential tub/shower enclosure, no light fixture can be lower than 8 foot above the water level, except a surface mount or recess. Of course the ceiling is probably much lower than 8 foot above the water level for home tub or shower. Code does not require the fixture to be GFI protected for a residential tub/shower.

GFI protection for a fixture is only required if the tub is a hot tub, a unit that utilizes pumps.

However, the light fixture or fan installation instructions will tell you that GFI protection is required if located in a tub/shower enclosure. This is manufacturers requirement.

So, either the light fixture manufacturer will require GFI, or the Code will require if a spa/hot tub is installed.

Unfortunately, I do not have the 2005 edition handy, but I do not remember this being an issue with the changes between the 2002 edition.

So, to summarize, only the recess or surface mounted fixture located above a tub or shower enclosure needs to be GFI protected. All other lighting in a bathroom does not need GFI. You may GFI protect the other lighting, but it is not necessary, and as noted by another expert, if the GFI trips while you are in the bathroom, you will be in the dark.

Switches do not require any GFI protection, but if near a spa or hot tub, must be at least 5 feet away from the edge of water.

I hope this makes sense and answers your question, if not get back with more questions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fishy smell in bathroom lighting [ 14 Answers ]

OK, what can it be... we have read many sites that suggest that it is the electrical lighting in bathroom... even electrician is stumped... help...

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

Outdoor Spa and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Dear all, Happy holiday's I have two 40amps in the main box that feeding the AC Unit. I would like to know if its possible and code pass in new Jersey, Piscataway. To tap into that conduit at a junction point and extend the required wires in a conduit 30-40 feet to a Spa 50/AMPS @ 240...

View more questions Search