Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2006, 08:50 PM
    Introductions subforum
    Well we tried putting a read me first message on the forum and people are STILL posting questions there.

May I respectfully suggest that no one answer questions posted there. Just point the person to the correct subforum to post. If we answer questions we will continue to get people posting them.

I still think we should set the forum to not allow answers, just an automatic system welcome.

Scott<>
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2006, 09:28 PM
    Maybe the best thing would be for the mods to move the question to the appropriate forum and send a message explaining where it went. Don't thing we want to greet people with a lecture. On the other hand, we do want their questions to be seen by the best in the forum.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 19, 2006, 09:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Well we tried putting a read me first message on the forum and people are STILL posting questions there.
    I agree that this is a problem. I don't think we should answer questions that aren't posted in the right subforum. If people can't be bothered to read something that says "Read This First," I don't see why we should be bothered to answer their questions.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 10:11 PM
    I agree. This is a problem.

I think the best way is to simply not answer them in the forum or someone should post a response asking them to please repost their question in the right forum.

Or the mods could move the question to the right forum.

Jan 20, 2006, 05:38 AM
    I'm all for giving people consideration. And I think the responses I've given to such posts have been more polite advice then lecture. But I also think people need to take some responsibility on their own. When a newbie first enters the site they see a list of categories. How hard is it to understand that there is a reason for all those categories? Isn't it simple common sense to figure out that you should post in a category that pertains to your question? And then to go further and use a subforum entitled Introductions compunded by not reading the ReadMeFirst announcement! In my opinion such people have forfeited some of the right to be treated politely. They made NO effort to try and understand how this site works. They made no effort to fit in so why should we make an extraordinary effort to be nice to them?

I'm not saying we should just leave their questions unacknowledged, but I strongly believe we should not answer their questions, just simply suggest that they repost in an appropriate place.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 06:12 AM
    Hi,
    Personally, I think it's rude to tell a person "You have posted in the wrong category", or something similar.
    Everyone is not going to read all the rules listed on the Home page before posting a question! Some will, some won't.
    If we are really here to help, then my own opinion is to answer the question, maybe making a polite note at the end that the next time, post a question like this in "xxxx category".

Jan 20, 2006, 06:42 AM
    Personally I think its rude for a person to post a question in the wrong place! Yes I agree that some people aren't going to read the rules. But if they are going to be that rude, why should we be so polite in return?

This isn't rocket science. It doesn't take a heck of a lot of thought to figure out why all those categories exist. Someone who doesn't bother to figure that out is very likely being lazy. Again, forfeiting the right to consideration.

I'm not saying we should be calling them stupid or lazy in pointing out where they should post (that's why I used this forum for this thread). But I do think we shouldn't reward them for their laziness by answering the question. Especially since we might not have the expertise to answer. That's why they should post in an appropriate place to attract people best able to answer.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 20, 2006, 08:17 AM
    Comment on ScottGem's post
    Rude--no, correct--yes
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 01:36 PM
    From the Mod/Admin perspective, it's best to ignore them, period. We'll see it within 24 hours and move it to the appropriate board.

Don't tell the user to post it in the right place - cause once it gets moved there, that post would look odd for any future users... know what I mean?

Just ignore 'em - we'll catch them with a few hours 99% of the time... and in a day at worst.

Jan 20, 2006, 02:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    From the Mod/Admin perspective, it's best to ignore them, period. We'll see it within 24 hours and move it to the appropriate board.

Don't tell the user to post it in the right place - cause once it gets moved there, that post would look odd for any future users...know what I mean?

Just ignore 'em - we'll catch them with a few hours 99% of the time...and in a day at worst.
    That's fine with me. They deserve to wait for not reading the rules. My only question is whether we should report the post or just assume someone will catch it.

Scott<>
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 20, 2006, 04:19 PM
    Comment on CaptainForest's post
    Good point
    nwsflash Posts: 530, Reputation: 73

Jan 20, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Im very worried that people just don't seem to understand basic English = what do they think the word "Introductions" means? I agree that posting questions in this section other then hello, hi I'm new that kind of thing should just be blanked.

When people sign up to the forum they get mailed a welcome password and so on email that's auto sent -- could it not also have a useful info section added and mailed regards basics rules?? About posting and sections ! Just my 2c.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 20, 2006, 04:38 PM
    Comment on nwsflash's post
    Agree along those lines, how about an intro box with the password email and have it sent back and entered in the into section, that should take care of it.

Jan 20, 2006, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nwsflash
    Im very worried that people just don't seem to understand basic English = what do they think the word "Introductions" means ?? I agree that posting questions in this section other then hello, hi im new that kind of thing should just be blanked.

When people sign upto the forum they get mailed a welcome password and so on email thats auto sent -- could it not also have a useful info section added and mailed regards basics rules ??? about posting and sections ! Just my 2c.
    I've said this before, but many people are generally lazy. They are looking for instant gratification so they post the first place they see without thinking about it. Of course the word Introductions should give them a clue. It should at least make them stop and think about what might the purpose of the forum. But even beyond that, just seeing a whole list of categories should stimulate some thought that there is a purpose for them.

Adding instructions to the welcome message might help some, but most of these people are just against reading instructions. Even if you shove them in their faces. I think part of it is the bad rep manuals got in the early days of software. So people just think they won't help. But that's really not an excuse.

If people are so lazy and/or thoughtless to not try an understand how a site works before jumping in, then they forfeit a level of consideration In my opinion. Let the Mods move the post and let them wait for an answer.

Scott<>
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    If people are so lazy and/or thoughtless to not try an understand how a site works before jumping in, then they forfeit a level of consideration IMHO. Let the Mods move the post and let them wait for an answer.
    Scott,

What is In my opinion?
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Jan 20, 2006, 09:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    Scott,

what is IMHO?
    In My Humble Opinion...
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 09:19 PM
    So mods, as Scott asked, notify you or not?

Not reading and following directions is a huge problem. You have people petting service dogs that have a ''Do not pet'' sign in 2'' high letters on their jacket or harness. A bus driver once asked me why people shouldn't pet dogs when they are working. I told him ''I don't want some strange lady petting you, when you are working.''
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 09:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by psi42
    In My Humble Opinion...
    Thank you psi42!
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jan 20, 2006, 10:11 PM
    Did I do it right
    Did I do this right, you see with me, I read the instuctions, but half the time I don't understand them. Well hope it was right. (O:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=18340
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 10:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lilfyre
    Did I do this right, you see with me, i read the instuctions, but half the time I dont understand them. well hope it was right. (O:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=18340

I think you did it right.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Introductions and... [ 3 Answers ]

I went to a friends birthday party this weekend and meet a girl. I spoke with her about five differnet times during the night... I even "saved her" at one point from a "sleazy" guy... at the end of the night my friends were leaving and I went up to her asked her if she wanted to exchange numbers......

View more questions Search