Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gclimer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:40 PM
    1 Stage Electric Unit Wired to 2 Stage Thermostat
    I bought my house from a realtor who bought it to flip back in March of 2006.

I believe the realtor had the HVAC unit replaced (inside and outside). The unit inside is a Goodman A32-05 1 Stage Electric (unless I'm just not reading things right... )

The thermostat is a Honeywell T8411R (which I believe is for 2 stage electric units)

I've had non-stop problems with our HVAC unit. The technician who wired it up to the thermostat wired it so that the emergency heat came on when the A/C came on. So in the summertime I was getting the temperature in my house to about 78 degrees and burning up. Not to mention a horrendous electric bill!

I didn't notice this that much last winter (doesn't mean it didn't happen) but this winter my fan blows ALL day long even after it reaches the set temperature. It only shuts off if I turn it off on the thermostat, or remove the thermostat.

When the little indicator that the heat is blowing comes on, the air isn't any warmer than when the fan is blowing.

I'm beginning to wonder if the thing is even wired up correctly.

The thermostat is wired like this:

G - Green Wire
    C - Brown Wire
    R - Red Wire
    W1 - No Wire
    Y - Yellow Wire
    L - No Wire
    W2 - White Wire
    E - White Wire (Jumpered from W2)
    B - No Wire
    O - Orange Wire

If anyone could provide any insight at all, I would be very appreciative. I need to get my electric bill back down to a reasonable amount.

I'm pretty technical savvy unless it comes to wiring diagrams, and then it's like a foreign language. But I feel as long as it doesn't get into a lot of repair type work on the unit itself, I'll be more than capable of doing some rewiring.

(I live in Georgia where temperatures HAVE been as low as 20 or so at night, but it has usually been in the high 30s to high 40s)
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Feb 13, 2008, 07:19 PM
    Is your unit a heat pump? If so, the electric furnace will be the second stage heat. The thermostat has the right colors to the right trrminals but it also depends on how the thermostat is programmed and how the installer actually wired the indoor unit. You will have to get a real repairman. There isn't enough information to help much farther.
    gclimer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2008, 07:48 PM
    I actually ended up talking to a maintenance guy at work last night who has done HVAC service and installation all his life.

He said that the most likely cause is the sequencer that controls the heat (and yes, even though it's a single stage unit, it still has two stages of heating - heat pump, and then emergency heat kicks on the electric). Another cause could be the fan sequencer.

He brought me some parts in today for me to replace and see if it helps out. If it does, then I'll respond back here.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2008, 10:02 PM
    My thoughts:
    White should go to W1. W2 should be open.
    I think there should be a wire to E

If indeed the emergency heat comes on in AC then that connection must be done in the furnace. I'll bet they may have replaced a tsat that didn't have a common terminal (C).

I didn't try to find the furnace manual.

The tstat operating and installation manuals can be found using this URL: Search Results - Honeywell Your Home Expert

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hvac1000: Or ing stage relays (multi-stage stats to single stage) [ 1 Answers ]

Would you agree that you can and should OR the outputs of say a 2 stage heating stat to make it a single stage? OR means connect the outputs together. Example: Connect W and W2 to create a single stage stat. I'm under the impression that either W1 or W2 is activated and not both and that this...

2 stage furnace / single stage thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am having a Goodman 90,000btu 2 stage, variable speed 5 ton blower furnace put in. I am also have a 3 ton 16 seer A/C put in. They want to set me up with a Honeywell 4000 programmable thermostat. I thought that I read that this thermostat was for single stage heating. Am I getting short changed?...

Changing 2 stage manual thermostat to 1 stage programmable [ 3 Answers ]

All wires match up except the RED wire (previously connected to "R") and the blue wire (previously connected to "C") on an manual white-rodgers thermostat (type 1f58w-58 2 stage heat/cool). On the programmable white-rodgers thermostat (type 1f78-151 single stage) I only have one open terminal and...

White rogers thermostat 2 stage heat 1 stage cool [ 6 Answers ]

Anyonw know how to hook this up with a dpdt relay There is 5 wires , outdoor heat for stage 1 heat , propane gas for stage 2 hear Thanks For any help :confused:

White rogers thermostat 2 stage heat 1 stage cool [ 1 Answers ]

What is the right wiring to hook the WHITE ROGERS 80 SERIES thermostat up ( 1F82-261)? I have a outdoor wood burner dlowing hear to a exchanger in the ducts , and I have propand gas as a back up sorce The furnace is a coleman evecon ( 94 model) with ac (up draft) I think I had the wiring...

View more questions Search