Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zulumimi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 11:54 AM
    Should I report my 401K distribution if it's only a small amount?
    Hello!

I am 52 yrs. Old and have filed some variant of a IRS 1040 form all of my life. My income over recent years has been between $38,000 and $43,000.
    In 2007, I received $980.00 in an early distribution on a 401K. I am inclined to report it but am worried that I have never reported interest income (under 100.00 annually) in all of my tax filing years! I've never taken advantage of some deductions, either, to be fair.
    Would reporting this amount automatically make the IRS look into my past years taxes?

Thanks for your input!
    Donna
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 10, 2008, 12:33 PM
    Did you get a 1099 for the distribution? If so, then you report it.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 10, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zulumimi
    Hello!

I am 52 yrs. old and have filed some varient of a IRS 1040 form all of my life. My income over recent years has been between $38,000 and $43,000.
    In 2007, I received $980.00 in an early distribution on a 401K. I am inclined to report it but am worried that I have never reported interest income (under 100.00 annually) in all of my tax filing years! I've never taken advantage of some deductions, either, to be fair.
    Would reporting this amount automatically make the IRS look into my past years taxes?

Thanks for your input!
    Donna
    You should be reporting all income that you are required by law to report. Even when you don't receive a form documenting it, interest income is still (generally) taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 12:18 PM
    While I agree that the interest income should be reported, that amount of interest involved (less than $100 annually) is so small that the IRS will not even bother sending you a notice about it.

It falls into the "de minimus" category.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k Distribution [ 4 Answers ]

My husband Paul was permanently laid off from his job in December 2005, at the age of 60. He has approximately $130,000 in his 401(k) plan. He worked for the company for 20 years and is fully vested in the plan. I am his wife and am 51 years old. Neither of us is currently employed. For...

Selling small claims amount that was awarded [ 3 Answers ]

I won a small claims case and I am wondering is there some way to sell the amount to a third party because the person would take 3 years to pay the amount at the amount the judge allowed.

Being sued for small credit card amount [ 2 Answers ]

I am being sued buy a credit card for less than 4000. I don't know what to do. I don't want to lose my home. My husband is going to freak when I tell him I have 4 kids ican barely afford to feed as it is. I just went back to work a few months ago I don't know what to do we are considered below the...

401k distribution [ 2 Answers ]

I have 78,000.00 in my 401k and I'm getting laid off without any severance. I've got 19k in debt. Would it make sense to take a distribution and suck up the 10% fee and taxes to pay off the debt?

401k distribution [ 1 Answers ]

My husband died in 2006, he had a 401k with me (spouse) as his benificiary. We have 2 young sons and I cashed out the 401k to use for the down payment of a primary residence. All of the paperwork has not been done, but I will get all of the papers in order during 2007. Is there a certain amount...

View more questions Search