Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    magen_jann7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:53 AM
    Getting Emancipated
    I'm 15 and pregnant and my dad is an alcoholic and he throws me down. I have called the police on him countless amount of times. My mom is fixing to get out of jail but I don't know if she is able to get custody of me. I can't live with my dad anymore and I don't want to go to foster care. I can live with this one person that supports me a lot. I need some help. Can I be emancipated? Thanks... I'm just going through a hard time.. this is for real not any bull crap. I will do anything to get out of my dads custody.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Often, having a child makes you automatically emancipated. It depends on your state and may depend on your age. Your best bet may be to just go live with this person (assuming that (s)he is a responsible adult and truly willing and capable of supporting you.) Of course, when your baby is born there'll be custody and support issues to deal with between you and the child's father also. There are federal and state programs that will assist you in the care of your child, such as WIC, Aid to Families with Dependent Children, etc.
    magen_jann7 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 10:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Often, having a child makes you automatically emancipated. It depends on your state and may depend on your age. Your best bet may be to just go live with this person (assuming that (s)he is a responsible adult and truly willing and capable of supporting you.) Of course, when your baby is born there'll be custody and support issues to deal with between you and the child's father also. There are federal and state programs that will assist you in the care of your child, such as WIC, Aid to Families with Dependent Children, etc.
    Yeah I have someone to live with but whenever I try to go , my dad calls the law on me and makes me go back with him. Can I go up to the court house and talk to them about it? Umm I live in Tennessee also so that might help you descibe it to me easier. And could you please if you have msn messenger add me [email protected] it might be easier to talk
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2008, 10:58 AM
    There's actually lots of places where having a child does NOT automatically make you emancipated. In some places you actually have to live with your parents still to collect any sort of welfare if you're a minor with a child.
    Tennessee doesn't have any emancipation laws. But they do have guardianship laws. If I were you I would check into guardianship. If this person that you want to live with is a responsible adult who can support you financially and is willing to go to court with you you'd probably have a good shot at getting the guardianship since it sounds like there's proof your father is abusive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emancipated [ 6 Answers ]

Hi my name is Brittany.I'm 16yrs old and about to have a baby. I'm writing to ask how do I get emancipated. I've heard that as long as I have a job, a place to stay, show that I can take care of myself without my parents, and have a good reason why I want to get emancipated than I can. I have a...

How to get emancipated [ 2 Answers ]

Hello i am trying to receive questions on getting emancipated how to i go about gettting emancipated in louisiana? I need help can someone assist me :o

Can I be emancipated? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 15 and pregnant. I am menially abused by my father. There has been physical abuse in the past. I am have a younger brother and a older sister. My mother and father do treat me a lot differently form them. My father is also a drunk. He is mean and abusive when he drinks. He was thrown...

I want to get emancipated [ 1 Answers ]

I need help getting emancipated in menlo park California I'm not sure on how to do it I am 15 about to be 16 in January I have a job and good grades if someone can help me I would greatly appriciate that.

Can I get emancipated? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been looking intoi emancipation for a while now but it seems as if other people have more complicated story's than I do and they could not succeed. I am 16 years of age and me and my parents have not gotten along in months. My mom was a single parent for most of my life, until my step dad...

View more questions Search