Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paradoxic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows.
    Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the issue. No luck. I then was trying to clear all the problems in the device manager when I accidentally deleted something. When I start the computer (And in safe mode) I get up to my wallpaper and then get "a required DLL file, MSVCRT.DLL was not found". Then it says windows must be reinstalled. I have reset the register to an earlier date. Tried SCANREG and get this... "there is not enough free conventional memory to check a drive. you may need to remark (rem) some device drivers from your CONFIG.SYS file or in CONFIG.SYS you may need to load the EMM386.EXE driver to load your other device drivers into upper memory blocks using devicehigh= statements". Tried to reinstall windows from the start up disk (D:\setup) when I then get "windows setup requires "largest executable program size" to be at least 442368 bytes to run ". I have found five (5) files in the win98 disk for the MSVCRT.DLL file and quite a few for the EMM.386 file. How do I reinstall the DLL/ EMM386 files from the win98 disk to my hard drive? At this point I just want to get back in to the disk to get my files and stuff off so I can wipe it clean and start over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 06:41 AM
    Win98
    Hi, Paradoxic,
    I know it's a little late for me to ask this, but did you make a floppy boot disk, using Win98/98SE? If so, put it in your floppy drive.
    Here is a link:

http://www.mcse.ms/archive248-2005-4-1576419.html

These are other files will be available on a floppy boot disc, from which you can install to the hard drive. You might have to download the files for the boot disk from one of the suggested sites in the link above.

When you get your system up and running again, here are steps to make a floppy boot disk for your computer:
    Insert the Win98/98SE CD in the CD-ROM drive.
    Go to Start/Programs/Windows Explorer
    Double click on D:/ , if that is your CD-ROM drive letter.
    Find and open the folder; Tools/Mtsutil/Fat32ebd (stands for Emergency Boot Disk)
    Double click on the file Fat32ebd.exe and follow the instructions to create the Boot Disk.
    Then remove the CD from the CD-ROM.

Now, we must test the Boot Disk to see if it works.
    Shut down the computer; then turn it back on with the Boot Disk still in the computer.
    When a screen comes up, use the up and down arrows on the keyboard to select "Boot with CD-ROM support". Then press Enter.
    It will show some things about the computer, and then come up to the A:\> prompt.
    Now, insert a CD (any will do) into the CD-ROM.
    Wait until it "spins" and the light goes off.
    Now, at the A:\> prompt, type in DIR D:
    It will now look like A:\>DIR D:
    It should show all the files on the CD.
    If so, the Boot Disk is good. If NOT, repeat all the above.
    If it's good, then remove the CD, manually turn off the computer, and remove the Boot Disk. Turn on the computer and it's ready to go.

I also use Win98SE, and the boot disk is a "must have".
    I do wish you the best, and if any of the above doesn't do the trick, then please post back.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 06:49 AM
    You can try this if you know how to set your PC to boot fron CD:
    http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article...,111652,00.asp

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

After winXP reinstall, screen looks like Safe Mode? 64 bit? How do I fix it? [ 7 Answers ]

I had to reinstall Windows XP on my parents computer and now, everything is HUGE! It looks like Safe Mode but with the background display and everything else in the XP style. Its like a 64 bit gaming system or something... How do I get it back to normal?

Can't reinstall Windows 98 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I formatted my hard drive and tried to reinstall Windows 98 on my laptop. When I attempt to reinstall it says that it can't continue because there is a previous install still on the computer. I think the info might have gone onto my D drive and I don't know how to do a complete cleaning of...

Games does not recognize additional buttons of Logitech MX500 after Windows reinstall [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I have a Logitech MX500 that I use from about 2 years. It always worked good and I always used its additional buttons in games. The problem started when I had to format C: and reinstall Windows. Now games like Half-Life 2 or SeriousSam 2 does not recognize my additional buttons any...

Windows xp won't load. Help! [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I don't know much about computers but here goes. My mum is having problems with her computer, it hasn't been switched on for 6-7 weeks, when she comes to switch it on it comes up on a black screen with pci device listings. It won't goany further than this and won't open windows. I...

Windows xp won't load/boot [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with my windows xp boot. When I try to boot windows I get the screen that says: Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Please re-install a copy of the above file. I would appreciate all your help. ...

View more questions Search