Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmarigoni Posts: 48, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Tile to carpet transition - concrete floor.
    I will be tiling in my basement, on a concrete floor. Would it be better to install backerboard under the tile to bring it up 1/4" or 1/2" to make the carpet/tile transition easier? Or should I lay tile on concrete floor and then transition it from that height? Any suggestions would be helpful.

The carpet will be freize carpet. The tile is approx 1/4" thick, and I will be using 8# carpet pad.

B.M.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 10:25 AM
    You can do it either way. If you want the floor surfaces to be level you should install the backer board. You will need edging for the tile where it meets the carpet unless you have a threshold. If you install a threshold the differences in floor level will not be noticeable. A metal strip is available, in mill and brass finish is made that has a lip that fits under the tile . This must be installed before the last row of tile is laid.
    GLEIGHVAH Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Feb 10, 2008, 02:51 PM
    I would put it right on the concrete and use a threshold or transition strip to make up the difference in height
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Feb 10, 2008, 05:38 PM
    Id also use a transition strip as well. The height difference want be that noticeable if only a 1/4 or so

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carpet to Tile transition [ 10 Answers ]

I have the tile intalled and will be installing the carpet up to it. The border will be 11 feet long and runs across part of my basement from wall to wall. I would like to just butt the carpet up to the tile and tuck it in without using threshold which would visually separate the two areas. My...

Transition between tile & carpet [ 5 Answers ]

I'm laying tile in my bathroom where there used to be linoleum. The floor butts to carpeting and I've been told I should use a metal strip between the two surfaces. I bought the strip and have cut it to fit but my question is how do I adhere it down? It looks like I could screw it down or...

Transition from travertine tile to stained concrete flooring [ 2 Answers ]

I just recently removed carpeting and padding from my main living area (gotta love having 3 dogs and a long haired cat!! ) and had stained concrete floors made, finished with a thick coat of epoxy (again, love those dogs). While I'm using quarter round trim to finish along the baseboards, I'm...

Floor Tile, Concrete floor is sealed. [ 1 Answers ]

I want to replace carpet with tile on concrete floor but concrete is sealed with some coating. Do I have to prime this or remove sealant?

Replacing Carpet on Concrete Floor [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of building a new room in a finished basement. I pulled up the old carpet, which was glued to the concrete floor. Scraping the foam off is a difficult and tedious task. How "clean" must the floor be before a new pad and carpet is installed?

View more questions Search