Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MHerman506 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 08:12 AM
    Wedding Invitation
    I am getting married in a small chapel with only enough seats for the immediate family. I am having a large reception immediately after the ceremony. How do I word the invitation so that people people won't be offended if they are not invited to the ceremony?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Simply invite them to the reception, with no mention of the preceding ceremony. If anyone asks, just tell them what you've told us here, that there is insufficient seating space for everyone at the ceremony.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Feb 18, 2008, 12:52 PM
    I'm sorry, but people will be offended at not being invited to the ceremony... there is no wording that will suffice. I just got married in June and I've done my research here... not inviting them to the ceremony will leave the impression that you are only inviting them to a reception for the gifts. I know that's not what you intend, but be prepared for some of your guests who will get this impression.

That being said, if you insist upon doing it this way you should print separate invitations for those not welcome at the ceremony. They should be simple and not mention the ceremony. Just say: "Please join us in a celebration of our wedded vows"... or something similar.
    kildarebabe Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 03:33 AM
    I think you should say on the invite that you are having a private or small ceremony but would love to invite the guest to share your special day by attending the reception
    iAMfromHuntersBar Posts: 943, Reputation: 146

Feb 19, 2008, 04:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    Simply invite them to the reception, with no mention of the preceding ceremony. If anyone asks, just tell them what you've told us here, that there is insufficient seating space for everyone at the ceremony.
    Top answer!

I'd be chuffed to bits that someone had just thought to invite me to the reception! If people don't like the perfectly sound explanation you've just given us, then retract your invitation to the reception, they'll soon think again! No point letting bitter people spoil one of the best days of your life!

Good Luck for your wedding and the future!
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Feb 19, 2008, 04:08 AM
    I agree... do not mention it on the invite to the people who are not invited.

This site may help some... http://occasions.southworth.com/index.php?id=41
    Shell_Lee Posts: 83, Reputation: 10

Feb 19, 2008, 10:54 AM
    I'm going through this Same thing right now. I'm getting married in April also at a small chapel. I made up a separate invite and put this on it:

Together with our parents
    We invite you to share in our happiness
    As we celebrate our marriage at a reception to be held on
    Saturday, the fifth of April
    Two thousand and eight
    Five o'clock in the evening

Place

I've seen in quite a few different places where people say do not do this as the guests will be "offended". Well if they are going to be "offended" then I don't want them there. If they can't be understanding as to why I could not invite them to the ceremony, as I did not have enough seating, then I don't want them there to help celebrate at all. With every wedding that I've ever been invited to, I've been honored to even be invited - EVEN IF IT WAS JUST FOR THE RECEPTION!

Hope this helps

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding Invitation wording for a widowed parent [ 7 Answers ]

My Brother is getting married and we want to include my father on the invitation,but he has passed away. Not sure of the wording. Should Mom be listed as Ms. Jane (John) Doe or John and Jane Doe?:confused:

Court House Wedding or Back Yard Wedding? [ 18 Answers ]

We are on a limited budget as far as our wedding goes. We want to spend more money on the rings and honeymoon than the wedding. So, we want something intimate and special but small. So these were the two options that we were thinking: 1. A small ceremony in his parent's backyard. There...

Wedding invitation ettiquette [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé and I have an issue on our hands. During a trip to visit my brother in NYC last May, we met his "current" girlfriend. My fiancé and I were horrified at her conduct. She did nothing but constantly swear, interrupt all conversations so that she could be heard, and was in constant need...

Wedding invitation wording [ 4 Answers ]

Hi all.. My cousin is getting married. Both his parents passed away. Could anybody help with the wording arrangement if he wants to put my uncle's name as a person who representing his parents? Thank you

Wedding invitation wording [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting married this fall and am at a loss for how to word our invitaitons. My father was a widower but has since remarried. He is paying for one third of our wedding and I am paying for the other two thirds. How do I properly and tactfully word this?

View more questions Search