Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 07:22 PM
    Page cannot be displayed
    I am new to this thing called computer. I have been having trouble viewing web pages or even purchasing anything online. When I get to the checkout it tells me page cannot be displayed. When I try to use enternet explorer I get page cannot be displayed. I have checked browser and it is set on medium and is at default level. So could some of this program been deleted or is just not set right?
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 02:32 AM
    Do you get this problem on just one certain site? If it only happens on one certain page, then the chances are that the page you are trying to access has the problem - not your PC.

Also, off subject but if you are new to computers & the internet, I would just like to say the words "virus scanner", "spyware protection" and possibly "firewall". If those mean nothing to you, let us know. It'll be very useful in the future for ensuring your PC is safe & secure.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 05:52 AM
    Hi, Gail,
    Do you use AOL?
    If so, I would call them and talk with Support. They could guide you through the settings you need. This should not be happening. If your Security for IE is set to Medium, then you should be able to view pages, and "check out" in secure zones. As another said, if it's happening at just one site, then it's probably the site. But, if happening as you indicate, at many, then call your Internet Service Provider, and ask them. They could probably help you find the problem more quick. I do wish you the best of luck.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 05:56 AM
    The cause may be that your browser does not support the correct encryption strength for the secure sites (you'll know it's a secure site when you see that little padlock at the bottom right of Internet Explorer). Make sure that you do all your Windows updates first before we can do any troubleshooting
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 20, 2006, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    I am new to this thing called computer. I have been having trouble viewing web pages or even purchasing anything online. When I get to the checkout it tells me page cannot be displayed. when I try to use enternet explorer I get page cannot be displayed. I have checked browser and it is set on medium and is at default level. So could some of this program been deleted or is just not set right?
    You might try adding those sites as a trusted site. This is done in Tools>Internet Options under the Security tab.

On a separate point, you really shouldn't use your full e-mail address as your screen name here. That just opens you to spam. I would suggest starting a new account with a more anonymous screen name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Web page for lan? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Everyone! Can Anyone Tell Me How Can I Setup Web Page For Our LAN Network? I Visited An Internet Café I Asked What You Have On Your Server? He Said Type www.vtcs.net I Put That Address & A Web Site Opened Up Showing All The Contents Of His Server In WEB PAGE form and when I Tried To Open...

Web page [ 14 Answers ]

My ISP gives me 10Mb of webspace, I would like to just put a few pictures up and maybe some email addresses. Everyone says to buy Dreamweaver or Frontpage, but isn't there a way to create the file in IE and save it as a .htm and upload that? Or maybe even in Word? In Word 2003 when you go to new...

"page cannot be displayed" Help! [ 9 Answers ]

Need some help. We are connecting to the internet via cable modem. Probably something easy but for some reason when we double click on the internet explorer icon we receive a "Page cannot be displayed" message but the when I open my AOL account it connects?? SO the cable modem works fine when...

Page cannot be displayed after 3 minutes [ 2 Answers ]

Win 98se , 256mb, sys rec @ 85% free, cable , router, IE 6.0 version 6.0.2800.1106 When online, after about 5 minutes my browser seems to die. Im still online, outlook will come up and send email successfully, and if I'm playing a game, I can play all night, as long as I don't close it...

View more questions Search