Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Packer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 06:54 PM
    Fair Trial? And Probation question...
    I have a few questions about a misdemeanor criminal case I recently witnessed. If the defendant was given a court appointed attorney, and the defendant requested a jury trial, and requested phone records to be subpoenaed, and received neither... is that grounds for an appeal?

Also, if someone is placed on probation, are they allowed to leave the country for vacation (i.e. cruise)?

Any helpful info or weblinks would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Jeannie
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 07:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Packer
    If the defendent was given a court appointed attorney, and the defendent requested a jury trial, and requested phone records to be subpoenaed, and recieved neither... is that grounds for an appeal??
    If the case called for an option to have trial via judge+jury or judge alone, they yes that is grounds for appeal. Some cases you can only have a trial by judge.

As for the subpoenaed phone records. The Judge doesn't have to grant the request if the defence does not provide any valid reason why such a request should be ordered. However, if the defence feels like they did, they they can appeal that decision.

Also, if someone is placed on probation, are they allowed to leave the country for vacation (i.e. cruise)??
    It would depend on the conditions of the probation. Does the probabtion that Person X received entitled him/her to go on a vacation outside of the country?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 07:08 PM
    Trial
    First what level trial was it,

City ordiance misdemeanor

County court

State court

What was the charges. Next what type of phone records did they want.

I know in state court where I was most of the time, all cases could get a jury trial, but I also knew in city court many minor charges did not get a jury trial. Example begging on the street corner, pan handling, traffic offenses, for a few. They could ask for a change of venue, taking them to state court, but would have to do that, not merely ask for a jury trial.

But any attorney practicing before the court would know that.
    And not merely the denying, but the reason why they denied, If the phone records were viewed at not having any bearing on the case, unless the appeals court believes they have some bearing, they would not most likely.

Just not nearly enough information to give any good answer.

In general the public defenders while do little, do make sure all a clients rights have been protected, so if motions where not handled properly they would have been watching for it.

Leaving the county ( even leaving the state) is normally not allowed without the permission of the probation officer. But even then it is all dependent upon the level of probation and the type of probation.

For misdemeanors many cities use private probation departments, they operate somewhat differently from state probation departments.

So a lot more details can help with a more complete answers
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 20, 2006, 07:27 AM
    Hello Packer:

In the real world, you probably have plenty of grounds for appeal. Also, in that real world, you don't have enough money to see an appeal through. We're talking thousands and thousands here. If you have that kind of money, why didn't you hire a good lawyer in the first place? You don't think the state is going to supply you with a free attorney to pursue a misdemeanor appeal, do you? Well, they're not.

Plus, if the defendant ONLY got probation, as opposed to slam time, what's the big deal? I know, it IS a big deal to you.

Sure he can go out of town. He just needs permission, and I can't believe he won't get it.

excon
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jan 20, 2006, 05:34 PM
    Court appointed attorney
    I have a few questions about a misdemeanor criminal case I recently witnessed. If the defendent was given a court appointed attorney, and the defendent requested a jury trial, and requested phone records to be subpoenaed, and recieved neither... is that grounds for an appeal??
    I see that the court appointed an attorney, from that point on the attorney is in charge of that case.
    If defendant requests a jury trial and is denied, the ground for denial must be stated, should have asked right than.
    Defendant can dismiss attorney and file his own request for jury trial and submit a Motion for disovery.

Just some suggestion, not legal adivce.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

On probation as of feb 1st I have question,can I leave state for a college visit ? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: HELP!! OK I've been placed on probation for the next 3 yrs of my life.this is my first offense.I'm 21.I am scheduled to go to Arizona in march for 3 days for college campus visits.I live in ny.What are my chances of getting to leave state?My probation officer said "it's going to be...

Sentencing after trial [ 3 Answers ]

After your trial and they sentence you to jail, at what point do you go. Immediately? Or do you have time to get affairs in order once you know the length of stay?

Trial balance [ 3 Answers ]

I have this question about a trial balance, every time I try to balance it I come with debits 42,110 and credits 42,390. I really do not enjoy trial balances and my teacher has not explained one in class yet, but it is in my homework. The subtractions and additions are my attempts to balance them...

One more trial balance question [ 1 Answers ]

never mind I solved it, while asking the question, sorry The Julien Hotel opened for business on May 1, 2007. Here is its trial balance before adjustment on May 31. JULIEN HOTEL Trial Balance May 31, 2007 DEBITS Cash $ 2,500 Prepaid Insurance 1,800 Supplies 2,600

Probation Question [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my situation. I was placed on probation in 1999 for 1 year. 3 months in I developed cancer with a tumor in my brain that causes memory loss and other problems. I still saw my P.O. for a few more months, then just forgot almost my entire life for about 7 months... Then moved to another state...

View more questions Search