Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iroc99 Posts: 7, Reputation: -1

Feb 10, 2008, 12:48 AM
    Negotiate Credit Card Settlement ?
    Hello.

I have 4 credit cards totaling $ 4800. It is so hard to keep up with payments because I am paying the minimums because its all I can afford. Also, all the cards are just about maxed out, they change due dates, I get late, they added late fees which trigger over the limit fees.

I promise you I am not an impulse buyer all these were car repairs and things for my house. Also, I promise you at least 1/4 of that debt is fees. For instance on this one card I paid $ 47 last month... this month my balance is about $ 150 higher due to fees. This will never end.

However, this situation can not go on. I hate their policies and want to get out debt so I can start saving and more spending money. I am just tired of these people milking me like a cow every month. Their tactics are so abusive, fraudulent and even illegal.

I am going to get a tax refund and company bonus sometime in March. I will use all of that to spread it among the cards. Do you think I should try to get them to accept less money ? I was told that as long as they are getting payments mostly on time they will not have incentive to settle. This means I should stop paying for about 3 months then ask them to settle. I hate to do that but I will if I have to... any suggestions ? Believe me I AM going to use my tax money to pay the balances.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 10, 2008, 11:21 AM
    Credit card companies are not all bad. Some will agree to debt consolidation at a low interest rate that can be dealt with quite easily. You can't lose by talking to one of them about this before it gets so bad they are handed over for collection.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt settlement? [ 3 Answers ]

I answered a summons that I received back in July. It was on a debt of $10, 000 the creditor says I owe. I gave them my answers, they in turn sent me statements from two years ago, but I haven't received a statement from them since Nov. of 2006. They charged off the amount back in December. I saw...

Credit Card settlement [ 1 Answers ]

Hello my name is Chris and I have had a credit card most of my life. We have used it to live off due to lay-offs and remodeling our home. I have recently found that we are unable to pay the large balance and the large monthly payments are just about impossible to pay. Should I just stop making...

How can I negotiate a settlement for an overdue judgement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Back in 98-99 I had a run of bad debt. I chose to simply ignore it and as a result 1 of my creditors filed a judgement. At the time I was unable to attend the hearing and the attorney who filed applied for a 29% interest rate on the judgement. The original debt was around 800 + the attorney...

Credit card debt settlement overseas [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I recently joined a debt settlement program that has good customer feedback on forums and favorable ratings from the BBB... however, I am worried that I will be sued before my debts are settled ($38000 over 24 months). And it is complicated by the fact that I took a job overseas for an...

Best way to negotiate rates w/ credit card companies? [ 4 Answers ]

A family member is loaning me $20K to pay off part of my $33K credit card debt. The loan will enable me to pay off the balances in full on two of the highest-interest rate cards, and part of the next highest-rate card. I'd love to just call the bastards up & close the accounts as soon as the...

View more questions Search