Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bob13254n1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 05:39 PM
    Old Coin
    I have come across many old coins and some old bills. I was wondering what a 1945 and a 1941 Lincoln Penny might be worth, if anything. This is my first time using this service, if more detail is needed let me know.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 06:45 PM
    When you say a Lincoln Penny, I assumed you mean American Penny.

And if anyone knows what an US Lincoln Penny from 1919 is worth, please let me know. Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 08:04 PM
    Try looking your coin values up at.

http://www.ecoinprices.com/?OVRAW=co...OVMTC=standard

A fully lustrous 1919-S Lincoln cent graded Mint State-66 Red by the Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) sold for an astounding $19,550 (a hammer price of $17,000 plus a 15-percent buyer’s fee).

Heritage described this coin as “the single finest representative of this issue known to both NGC (the Numismatic Guaranty Corporation of America) and PCGS.” Still, it is a 1919-S, not a 1909-S. And, with a mintage of nearly 140 million, it has never been mistaken for a rarity. In fact, it has one of the highest mintages of any Lincoln cent produced before 1920.

With this and other so-called “common-date” cents in the Heritage auction, however, the crucial figure wasn’t the number produced by the Mint, but rather the number certified in very high mint condition since the start of the “grading revolution” in 1986.

In the case of the 1919-S, this is the only specimen ever graded MS-66 Red by PCGS or NGC, with none graded higher. Thus, this has a legitimate claim to being the finest-known 1919-S Lincoln cent – a true condition rarity if ever there was one.

Obviously, ‘19-S cents weren’t well struck and fully lustrous even on the day they left the Mint, so not many examples existed to begin with – and over the years, the number has been winnowed to just a precious few by the ravages of time and attrition.
    augustknight Posts: 83, Reputation: 31

Jan 19, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Nobody can give you a true answer without seeing the coin. The coins that you mentioned are fairly common and are only worth their face value. Most collectors realise that very few coins will fetch high auction prices. Most collect for historical and aesthetic reasons and as such understand that the value of most coins are very poor investment prospects. At least the later dated one is made of a steel alloy because copper was needed for the war. Remember, NEVER clean a coin, that is like rubbing out history.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2006, 08:24 PM
    Cool

I can't speak for bob13254n1, but for me I was referring to a circulated coin. I completely forgot that uncirculated coins can be purchased.

Which is sad, since I have some uncirculated coin sets that I have bought, lol.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2006, 08:41 PM
    sets
    I was a collector some years ago, and many coins the mint is also an issue, and the condition always.

I have a lot of silver dollars from before 1900 but they have little value in the over all view of things, Now I have a lot of 1980s US baseball teams, and some are worth 10 cents or less, others in the hundreds.

I though those US "wheat" pennies were going to zoom in value, I got sackfuls, they are bearly worth the penny.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search