Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gnaren918 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 07:56 PM
    Am I eligible for Foreign Income Exclusion?
    Hi,

I am from India and on H1B visa. I was working in US from Aug 2006 to Aug 2007. During the year 2007, I was paid in India as well. For the period, Jan 07 to Dec 07, I was paid about 8000$ equivalent of Indian rupees in India. Can I claim this amount as Foreign Income Exclusion? If so, which is the form to fill? Is there any tax expert who can help me in filing this?

Regards,
    Naren
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 10, 2008, 06:34 AM
    You would not qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion but you may be able to use the foreign tax credit if you paid foreign tax.
    gnaren918 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gnaren918
    Hi,

I am from India and on H1B visa. I was working in US from Aug 2006 to Aug 2007. During the year 2007, I was paid in India as well. For the period, Jan 07 to Dec 07, I was paid about 8000$ equivalent of Indian rupees in India. Can I claim this amount as Foreign Income Exclusion? If so, which is the form to fill? Is there any tax expert who can help me in filing this?

Regards,
    Naren
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I wanted to clarify this:

For the period Jan to Aug 07 when I was working in US, a total of 4065$ was deducted from my US salary and paid in India. Is that amount eligible for foreign income exclusion?

This is how it is done in my case:
    For e.g. assuming a salary of 5000$ per month, an amount of 500$ was deducted every month and being paid in India and taxed as per Indian rates. But, I am taxed in the US for the entire 5000$ as well. So, I wanted to know if that amount can be excluded while I file my US taxes?
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Feb 10, 2008, 12:23 PM
    There's something very strange about the details you provided. Let me make three points:

1. There is no way that you qualify for the foreign earned income exclusion, based on the information given.

2. If you are working in the US, then this is US source income and you should be paying US tax on it.

3. You should look into why you are being taxed in India if you are being paid for work done in the US. You would not be able to claim this Indian tax as a foreign tax credit if it is for work performed in the US.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
    The DTAA (Double Tax Avoidance Agreement) should be used with the Indian tax authorities to STOP the taxes being paid to India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Visa hoder Eligible for Google Adsense Income [ 5 Answers ]

Hi , I would like to know whether a H1B Visa hoder Eligible for Google Adsense Income and if so which tax form is applicable. I will glad to receive an answer . Thanks in advance Regards

Foreign income exclusion test [ 3 Answers ]

Dear Sir Please let me know if I am right in claiming foreign income exclusion for 2006. I am a resident alien and I hold a faculty position in a university in USA. In September 2006, I moved abroad after obtaining leave from my present job. 1) I pass the tax home test because I have taken...

2006 taxes: F-1 OPT Income & Foreign Income [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I have a somewhat complicated question about my 2006 taxes... I came to the US in 2001 on a student visa (F1). After I finished my degree I worked one year under OPT, and I left when my OPT/visa expired in May 2006 and went home to my native country and got a job there. So basically I...

Foreign Income Exclusion [ 11 Answers ]

Hi experts I am an Indian national, entered the US on July 16th, 2006 on H1B visa and continued to work in the US for the rest of the year. Prior to that I was working in Singapore for over six years continuously since 1999, of which the last 3.5 years were as permanent resident there (including...

View more questions Search