Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    znamya Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2008, 07:21 PM
    Me-->Resident alien; My wife-->Dual status, Can I file 1040
    Dear All;

I have a question. As I am here in the US more than 5 years under F-1 visa, I am considered resident for tax purposes. However my wife is dual status alien(Thanks to Atlanta Tax expert for the sticky, she passes all 3 requirements) Can I file regular resident return married filing jointly or how should I do it? If I can do resident tax, should I mention somewhere my wife is dual status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely

Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by znamya
    Dear All;

I have a question. As I am here in the US more than 5 years under F-1 visa, I am considered resident for tax purposes. However my wife is dual status alien(Thanks to Atlanta Tax expert for the sticky, she passes all 3 requirements) Can I file regular resident return married filing jointly or how should I do it? If I can do resident tax, should I mention somewhere my wife is dual status?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely
    Actually, I am more confused. Here is my case in more details.

My wife was on F1 until October 1st, then H1B. I was on F1 all year long however I have been in the US more than 5 years, so I am resident alien.

Q1)Is my wife dual status? I guess so according to ATE's sticky

Q2) I really want to fill resident alien filling jointly with my wife as I will get more money that case. The publication says attach a document explaining that we choose my wife to be treated resident alien and we both sign. I would like to file online to get my money faster, how do I attach this form to an online form.

PLease help if you know how to do this.thank you

Feb 12, 2008, 08:03 AM
    I called IRS just now, they told me I don't need to attach a form and sign it, I just need to file as if we both are american citizens.

Does she know what she is talking about? Thanks for your answer
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 27, 2008, 10:41 AM
    1) Actually, your wife, if she filed separately, would probably file as a non-resident alien because she has NOT met the 183-day Substantial Presence Test. But filing jointly is the better option.

2) The IRS rep was WRONG! The statement is required as it provides proof that you are making the explicit decision to forego your non-resident alien status and CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens. Unfortunately, this means you CANNOT file on-line; the return MUST be mailed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual status or resident alien? (TN->F1) [ 6 Answers ]

This is my situation, I was on a TN visa up until Sept, when I went back to school (and of course got a F1 visa instead). The past few years I've filed as resident alien, and I will pass the substantial presence test this year as well. So can I file as resident alien (instead of doing dual...

Dual-status or resident alien while leaving the US [ 1 Answers ]

I've been in the US on an H1 for 5 years and left the US in Apr 2007. By the substantial presence test, I can file as a resident (married-filing-jointly). Alternatively, I can file as dual-status, and I am trying to decide which makes sense: Dual Status alien: Only income until Apr counts, but...

1040NR -> 1040: Non-resident Alien to Resident Alien? [ 1 Answers ]

I've heard a rumor that after 5 years of being an international student filling out 1040NRs, you are supposed to start filling out a 1040 instead of a 1040NR. I've been in the States since 2001 (F-1 undergrad, then 1 year of F-1 OPT, and now with a new F-1 for grad school), 6 years so far and...

Resident alien or dual status alien [ 3 Answers ]

This topic has been heavily discussed, but the concept is still not clear. I have been on H1 since January 15, 2005 (was on F1/OPT before that). I received a pay-check (approx. $1500) in those 14 days on 2005 that I was on F1 status. Since "I pass the substantial presence test for 2005, I am...

Am I dual resident alien? [ 1 Answers ]

This is my history in US: 1998 as J1 student 118 days 1999 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 87 days 2000 as J1 Summer Travel or Work 68 days 2003 as B1 visitor 8 days 2003 as F1 student 152 days 2004 as F1 student 349 days 2005 as F1 student 271 days 2005 as H1B Employee 92 days

View more questions Search